This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help with reviewing podcasts.

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
For my Wednesday post on my blog, I review podcasts. The thing is that there are still a bunch of details I need to work out.

1. What should I mention in my review and what criteria should I review podcasts on?
Currently I cover the following:
- Style (Humor is the primary thing here)
- Substance (How informative it is, mostly)
- Hosts
- Episodes the review is based on
- Recommended episodes
- Sound Quality
- Release Rate

2. I'm betting that I can't listen to most podcasts in their entirety within a week. Thus, the problem of running out of podcasts to review comes up. What do you guys think I should do to speed this up? Should I listen to a certain number of episodes only? If so, how many and how should I select which ones?

Comments

• Digg Podcasts will tell you exactly which episodes are the best or most popular.
  • Hmmm so do you think I should just listen to the top five or so episodes on Digg before doing a review?
  • I think two or three fairly recent episodes are enough to do a review. It would be helpful to also mention: the average running time of the episodes (or the range of running times if the lengths vary a large amount), whether or not the podcast uses explicit language, and related podcasts.
  • You definitely don't need to listen to every episode to review a podcast. I say listen to the first episode, a few of the most recent episodes, and the most popular episodes of a show. Also, download any episodes that specifically appeal to you. That should be more than enough to give a decent review.
  • Yea, I definitely wouldn't listen to only the first podcast any show has done because unless it's a pro podcast it's probably going to suck. (there is a reason Rym and Scott haven't posted their test eps from way back in the beginning). Unfortunately not many people do test runs to get warmed up. So I would definitely focus on the more recent eps first and maybe compare them to an early eps. Shows like "1up Yours" have radically changed since their first eps, so it would be unfair to judge their initial outing when you compare it to what they have been doing lately.
    Also I'd focus on podcasts that have more then 20 eps under their belt since they have a better chance of not pod-fading.
  • Also I'd focus on podcasts that have more then 20 eps under their belt since they have a better chance of not pod-fading.
    Yes, if a podcast doesn't have any recent episodes, or it doesn't have a lot of episodes, it's not even a podcast yet.
  • Alright guys, I figured I'd test the waters with a review of Geeknights Thursdays. I've listened to the whole feed already (it's hard not to), so I'll have to test the selective listening method later.
  • "Though they do go off on tangents and Scott tends to raise rather odd arguments from time to time, these factors rarely detract from the show."

Understatement of the review!
  • edited July 2007
    Also I'd focus on podcasts that have more then 20 eps under their belt since they have a better chance of not pod-fading.
    Yes, if a podcast doesn't have any recent episodes, or it doesn't have a lot of episodes, it's not even a podcast yet.
    Iv'e often wondered as whether podcasts are valuable as just a short set of audio in stead of a continuing stream. For instance doing a single audio book and then keeping the feed up for people to listen to.
    Post edited by Omnutia on