This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Has playing a game ever made you feel ill?

When I first played Half-Life 2 it made me sick to my stomach and gave me a head ache...I thought I was totally weird, but I was just listening to a gaming podcast and they mentioned this happened to a number of people. So I thought I would ask around and see if anyone else has experienced this. Now, I'm not talking about the content making you sick, I'm speaking in terms of the motion, aspect ratio or things along those lines.

It took me about 3 or 4 times to actually play Half-Life 2 without feeling ill. Thank god I didn't give up because it ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

I should say that I've played many many games in my life and this is the only time it has ever happened.

Comments

• Descent, nuff said.
  • Descent, nuff said.
    Too true. Descent was the first truly 3D game I ever played. I played it on my friends 386 way back in the day, and I was also very dizzy at first. After playing it for awhile however, I got to the point where it didn't bother me at all. Ever since then, I have never had motion sickness from anything. If I ride a thrill ride on a full stomach, I will still get nauseous. However, I will only be shaky in the stomach area, my head does not get dizzy from motion unless I spin around in circles or something.
  • It was kind of funny because whenever any of my friends would asked if I like Half-Life 2 I'd say that I didn't much like it, because I didn't want to tell them it was making me sick. I'm glad it's never happened again, as that could get quite annoying.
  • I've never really felt sick in any way because of a game. Movies yeah. Games nope.
  • Maybe Guitar Hero after extended amounts of play, it hurts my eyes too.
  • I think its a combination of terrible cathode tube monitors and old graphics, but when I was a kid playing rts' like Age of Empires for a few hours in the afternoon would make my eyes nearly bleed with pain, not to mention a headache. Needless to say I think more responsible play patterns, better refresh rates and more modern monitors really ameliorated the problem of eye strain and fatigue.
  • I have a new game to add to this list: Marathon on Xbox live. Man, total vertigo the first time I played it. According to one of the 1Up podcasts everyone is having this problem.
  • I get sick from playing any FPS game that has full 3-D turning and motion. If the horizon stays constant I am fine, if it shifts I get the nausea.
  • I got a little motion sick playing the Marathon demo on my 360. Apparently I wasn't the only one. I've never had that happen before with a game, at least that I can remember.
  • edited August 2007
    I felt a bit sick after playing Civilisation 4 before. Granted, I had been playing for around 18 hours straight at a LAN party.  In terms of motion sickness, I've never had a problem with it when playing a game.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The blue pokemons, when I first got them, made me quite dizzy for a while, but maybe that was because I played on a smallass gameboy advance screen for about 5 hours straight
  • I never played it, but just looking at footage from the ET game makes me queasy . . .

Maybe it's a part of myself dying for witnessing that atrocity. >_<
  • Oh yeah, and if Portal is anything like the previews make it out to be...you'll have to be dizzy a few times to even beat the game
  • Pokemon XD - Gale of Darkness or whatever.

I had a huge headache and my eyes hurt.
  • I have a new game to add to this list: Marathon on Xbox live. Man, total vertigo the first time I played it. According to one of the 1Up podcasts everyone is having this problem.
    That game was making me sick as well. It's a shame too, since they hyped it up so much. I really wanted to play it and I kept trying to, but anything longer than 5 minutes and I started feeling nauseous.
    Oh yeah, and if Portal is anything like the previews make it out to be...you'll have to be dizzy a few times to even beat the game
    Yeah, Prey had some similar mechanics, albeit not as advanced. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it, though.
  • I play this game in which you bike, uphill, for a while. If I play that game I get exhausted. chestpains, legg cramp and all...
    Or maybe that's just RL.

• I play this game in which you bike, uphill, for a while. If I play that game I get exhausted. chestpains, legg cramp and all...

Or maybe that's just RL.
    Yeah, me too.
  • Oh! Those types of games!

Well, in that case, there is this one I play that involves my character in a pool of water, and I have to swim back and forth repeatedly for about an hour and a half. I'm not really ill, but I do feel very tired, and my vision in extremely blurry...
  • Descent, nuff said.Too true. Descent was the first truly 3D game I ever played. I played it on my friends 386 way back in the day, and I was also very dizzy at first. After playing it for awhile however, I got to the point where it didn't bother me at all. Ever since then, I have never had motion sickness from anything. If I ride a thrill ride on a full stomach, I will still get nauseous. However, I will only be shaky in the stomach area, my head does not get dizzy from motion unless I spin around in circles or something.

I too have to agree I got a little bit dizzy the first time I played this game (all I had played before were 2d games on Sega and Nintendo consoles).