This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lengthy Nintendo DS games

edited July 2007 in Video Games
Can anyone recommend any DS Titles that have long single player, preferably of the RPG variety?

Comments

• I heard Contact is nice.
  • I don't know what genre it fits into exactly, or if it's long enough, but Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is worth a shot.
  • I've been playing Scurge for a few hours now, and it looks like it has a few hours more in it. I'm not sure if its your cup of tea, but it's a pretty fun Metroid-type game.
  • I agree with One Sin. I have just dedicated the whole weekend to Dawn of Sorrow, and it's a terrific action RPG/platformer. It doesn't make very good use of the touch screen, though.
  • A lot of people enjoyed FFIII. If you've liked other FF titles, then that is a pretty safe bet.

Puzzle Quest might also interest you. It's technically an RPG but instead of smacking things with your sword you puzzle at them. Hardcore. :P
  • Contact, FF III, Starfox Command, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (So into it, I've recorded over 122 hours!) Nintendogs (Which really has no end.), I heard Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of WarLords is pretty decent. I hope you can take some of these games into consideration, and I hope I was of some help to you.
    I loved Contact. It has a lot of fun packed in it. I enjoyed running around and killing people and enemies with my bat, or my chef's knife. I was cluless towards the storyline, but after a while, it was easy to follow.
    Starfox Command has a lot of different paths to it. The desicions you make in-game determine the out come, and it's replay value is moderately high, in my opinion.
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is basically the same as any other Pokemon game, I know. But to me, it seems thats there are more things to do in this one, seeing how I have 122+ hours in-game. The NWFC add-on is pretty cool, going to the GTS Center, and putting up one of your Pokemon for trade, and receiving the Pokemon you requested in return, either in the same hour or within a day. That was pretty amazing to me.
    Nintendogs, I bought for my sisters birthday. I had looked at it recently, and I found myself buying a puppy, and yelling my lungs out at it, trying to get it to roll over. It's really fun if you've got a dedication going towards it, but can get really tiring if you over play it. It is a pretty lame sounding game, but it is a fun little thing to muck around with.
    Now, Puzzle Quest: COWL,  is a game I personally haven't played, but, a friend who has says its pretty addicting. I haven't heard of the game, until recently, I don't know the storyline, but I will try renting it and figuring out what it's about.
  • Here's my list:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Contact
    Final Fantasy III
    Lunar Knights
    Advance Wars

If you were to get those six games, you would be busy for a very, very long time.
  • I thought FF3 was pathetic. The story was shallow to the point of being non-existent, the combat was entirely turn-based, the job system was clunky, the level advancement and battles were just shy of being entirely deterministic, weapons and armor were scarce, the characters had no real personalities, and once you completed an area there was no compelling reason ever to return to it. The wifi Mognet was pointless, as well.

The only good things I can say about FF3 are 1) the 3d rendering looked great, and 2) I got to play the "lost" FF3 game that previously was unreleased in the States.

In short, it's good if you're simply looking for nostalgia or a grinder; otherwise, FF3 is not worth the $35 in my opinion.
  • Lunar knights is a terrible game.
    Okay. I can respect your opinion on that. Care to elaborate why it's such a terrible game?
  • Rocket Slime
  • edited July 2007
    I thought FF3 was pathetic. The story was shallow to the point of being non-existent, the combat was entirely turn-based, the job system was clunky, the level advancement and battles were just shy of being entirely deterministic, weapons and armor were scarce, the characters had no real personalities, and once you completed an area there was no compelling reason ever to return to it. The wifi Mognet was pointless, as well.

The only good things I can say about FF3 are 1) the 3d rendering looked great, and 2) I got to play the "lost" FF3 game that previously was unreleased in the States.

In short, it's good if you're simply looking for nostalgia or a grinder; otherwise, FF3 is not worth the $35 in my opinion.
    I would agree with this and yet plenty of people enjoyed it. So. Purchase at your own discretion.
    Post edited by Mamath on
    Okay. I can respect your opinion on that. Care to elaborate why it's such a terrible game?
    Yes, I second the request. I was kind of looking forward to playing Lunar Knights. What is bad about it?
  • Now, Puzzle Quest: COWL,  is a game I personally haven't played, but, a friend who has says its pretty addicting.

Your friend is no liar, however, that fucking computer cheats worse than the Catan AI on X-Box Live.

Also, I pass the motion for wired to justify his statement: I am also interested.
  • I really liked Lunar Knights, but at some points it became difficult to figure out what you were supposed to do.