This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

National Anthems

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
The U.S. national anthem was written by Francis Scott Key in 1814 after the Americans successfully defended Fort McHenry in Baltimore. It was originally a poem entitled "The Defense of Fort McHenry", but later music was added from To Anacreon in Heaven. Sometimes I think it's a little long, but maybe that's because I've heard it so much. Any of the non-Americans here have a cool national anthem? I know Israel's is the bomb. We played it in high school band, but I didn't know what it was at the time. So anyway. Let fly with thine knowledge of righteous national anthems.

Hatikva (Israel)
biQtrQpyJGo

Comments

• I win teh internets
  • In Soviet Russia, internets surf you!
  • edited July 2007

Those national anthems are pretty awesome I guess I have to put the Peruvian national anthem, sadly I was not able to find one with subs in English :(

I do not know if there are any French on the forum so I am also posting "La Marseillaise"

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Ahahahaha Starfox comes back to bitch-slap WIP back into line. That's worth +4 points.
  • edited July 2007
    Ahahahaha Starfox comes back to bitch-slap WIP back into line. That's worth +4 points.
    See this?

That's the team that has to clean up your house after a rousing game of scrabble.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Wait, was that directed at Jason or me?
  • edited July 2007
    The thing I don't like about the US national anthem is its lack of a hook. I am never walking down the street, humming about rockets or ramparts or homes of the brave. Ever.

However, ever since I saw the South Park movie, and listened to the soundtrack in my car (until the CD cracked), I catch myself humming the Canadian national anthem. At least, the version sung by Geddy Lee. Here is an example from a baseball game in Toronto.
    Post edited by Hank on

• I win teh internets
    You also win at life.
  • I guess since I am south american I should put somthing that is considered the "kind of"the South American Anthem "El Condor Pasa"
    In English

Instrumental:

The Original:
  • Regardless of any problems they may have had, the soviet national anthem is indeed teh awesome.

• Thats the closest to the Costa Rica national anthem in youtube.com

Translation:

Noble homeland, your beautiful flag

Expresses for us your life,

Under the limpid blue of your skies,

Peace reigns, white and pure.

In the tenacious battle of fruitful toil,

That brings a glow to men's faces,

Your sons, simple farm hands,

Gained eternal renown, esteem and honour.

Hail, gentle country!

Hail, loving mother!

If anyone should attempt to besmirch your glory,

You will see your people, valiant and virile,

Exchange their rustic tools for weapons.

Hail, O homeland! Your prodigal soil

Gives us sweet sustenance and shelter.

Under the limpid blue of your sky,

May peaceful labour ever continue.
  • That's the team that has to clean up your house after a rousing game of scrabble.
    See this?

They're tracking you during your "husky jeans" phase in fifth grade, they are.