This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pop Culture of Your Youth

edited July 2007 in Flamewars

Discuss.

BTW - No matter how relativistic you get, no one beats my G.I. Joes with the Kung Fu Grip, my Bruce Lee movies, or my Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Doors, Jimmi Hendrix, and Rolling Stones. I can claim all of those as the pop culture of my youth, and they are ABSOLUTE.

Comments

• As someone with no legal, medical, or ethical background, I have to agree. Although I was twelve in 2002, and everything sucked that year, I must say that HungryJoe's 12th year must have been awesome. I think the problem with pop culture nowadays is that it isn't unified anymore. We have separate groups, which have their own fads and allegiances. See: Beatles vs. millions of bands and new genres. The Beatles are superior.
  • edited July 2007
    If we strictly construe the "twelve years old" rule, I lose the Beatles and the Doors. I think the rule should be more like from the time you entered grammar school until the end of high school. That way, I'd pick up the Beatles and the Doors again, and we'd have more to talk about.

You have late generation console video games. There weren't any video games at all for me until the start of high school, when I lived through the golden age of arcades.

On this board, two camps will probably form around the Star Wars question. Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi are teh win. Fandom Grimace, Ad Hoc of the Clowns, and Revenge of the Shits are teh suck. Or does it matter when you were growing up? Does Fandom Grimace become good if you see it when you're 12 years old?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Empire Strikes Back was the best of them all.
  • I disagree with the twelfth year being the best for pop culture. I grew up in the 90's and found that cartoons from the early nineties, late eighties were infinitley better than the cartoons showed when I was twelve. I was also twelve in 2002.

I submit that Darkwing Duck (1991) can kick Jimmy Neutron's (2002) ass, and that Tiny Toons (1990) would beat Codename: Kids Next Door (2002) into the ground.
  • Li, don't read it as literally as that. Twelve is not a magic number. The meaning you're supposed to get is that, when we're older, we look back on the pop culture of our youth with rose colored glasses and think it's much better than the pop culture of any other era.

You're close enough to actually being twelve you probably can't see this. When you're in your thirties, you'll probably look back very fondly on Jimmy Neutron and Codename: Kids Next Door. You'll probably say, "Gasp! Never!", and I would have too at your age if anyone told me that I would be nostalgic for H.R Pufnstuf and Lidsville, but it's true.
  • edited July 2007
    That's what I thought after I read the comic too.

Ahhhh..12 in 1997. Spice girls... ,boy bands... ,Tommy hil tee shirts... ,Pokemon... ,super sugar happy pop... ,and the best movie ever made... ,Titanic!

Wait....I think all those things suck now. My rose colored glasses are broken! Lol. I think the only thing from that age I still think ruled was my PlayStation.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm nostalgic about the N64 and PSX days, but that was when I was about 7. I guess it still counts, but most pop culture from 1989 onwards was crap. I say most, not all.
  • That's what I thought after I read the comic too.

Ahhhh..12 in 1997. Spice girls...,boy bands...,Tommy hil tee shirts...,Pokemon...,super sugar happy pop...,and the best movie ever made...,Titanic!

Wait....I think all those things suck now. My rose colored glasses are broken! Lol. I think the only thing from that age I still think ruled was my PlayStation.
    oh mans... I too was 12 in '97... Things were better when I was around 8-10
  • Someone should start posting somewhere as "The Drunken Astronaut", or maybe that could be the mascot for a high school: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please show your appreciation as your Jefferson County Drunken Astronauts take the field . . . "