This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070802 - Reviews

RymRym
edited August 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we review the concept of reviews. In the news, WalMart employs beggars, and the American educational system is fscked.
Scott's Thing - The Last Stand

Rym's Thing - Moe's Prank Calls Compilation
Scott's GeekBite - Samurai Commando: Mission 1549

Rym's GeekBite - The Prince of Nothing

Comments

• Hell yeah. Someone else thinks the way I do about tipping.
  • Okay, the horrible exploitation on the part of WalMart aside, I disagree with your tipping stance. While in spirit, I think your ideal system of tipping is great (basing it solely on the merit of those involved), you have seen Reservoir Dogs, yes? You remember the opening scene that deals with tipping, yes? That's how I feel about tipping. They need it, so I might as well go out of my way to help them out, ya see. Everything that can be said on the subject ultimately gets said in that movie, so just throw in, especially if a mob boss bought your breakfast.
  • hat's how I feel about tipping. They need it, so I might as well go out of my way to help them out, ya see.

If I get shitty service, I don't tip.

Ever.

• They need it, so I might as well go out of my way to help them out, ya see. Everything that can be said on the subject ultimately gets said in that movie, so just throw in, especially if a mob boss bought your breakfast.
    They need it because they are paid less than minimum wage. If they were paid decent wages, then the prices on the menu would increase and gratuity would become optional.
  • edited August 2007
    So, Scott & Rym, what is your opinion of a cover charge?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So Scott & Rym what is your opinion of a cover charge?
    A cover charge is just a ticket to get into a place that costs money.  It's no different than buying a ticket to a sports game or a show.
  • We could do it like those smart French people . . . tips included in the price of what you eat. Always. Plus there in even amounts!
  • Concerning the game, "The Last Stand", I found it quite easy to build up a full base camp of survivors. And though searching for new weapons has the chance of losing survivors during the search, getting more survivors is pretty easy.
  • I played Last Stand on New Grounds a few days ago while searching for ways to waste time. I didn't even bother with it after killing the first round of zombies. It was a pretty crappy game.
  • edited August 2007
    We could do it like those smart French people . . . tips included in the price of what you eat. Always. Plus there in even amounts!
    Actually that I was more asking about when I mentioned cover charge. Also it is not just a French thing. Its an all Europe thing.
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • We could do it like those smart French people . . . tips included in the price of what you eat. Always. Plus there in even amounts!
    Actually that I was more asking about when I mentioned cover charge. Also it is not just a French thing. Its an all Europe thing.
    What you call a cover charge is not what we call a cover charge, hence the confusion. A cover charge in the US is a price of admission. They don't let you into the night club unless you pay $10 at the door. What you are referring to is what we call an automatic gratuity or forced gratuity. This is basically the restaurant decides what the tip will be and adds it to your bill.

Personally, I don't have a real problem with this as long as the restaurant makes it clear they are going to do that before you order. If they do that, then it's effectively the same as them raising all the prices on their menu by the percentage of the gratuity. However, in principle I would be much more satisfied if they simply raised all the prices of their food and did not have any tips or gratuities. If the price of your food is not enough for you to profit and pay your employees, then raise the price.
  • edited August 2007

Funny story about American education, I never took the English SOL on the  11th grade and I still graduated with and advance diploma. Granted that I kind of skipped that grade, and I asked to take it but they told me NO!

Post edited by Andrew on
  • You skiped a grade? I can see why!

Just messin' with you :)
  • edited August 2007
    Going back to the Walmart story. Our own defense department does the same thing> At the Commissary Groceries stores the baggers work for tips only. Many they are Asia women who are wife of soldiers and sailor that leave on base. And this has been going on for as long as I remember which would be early 80's. So Walmart is to the only one to do this. They had Government help. But I heard they make good tips though.
    Post edited by sailorvista on
  • edited August 2007
    English as a second language huh? ;)

I should stop - I'll get my come-uppins, damn you karma!
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • edited August 2007
    come-uppins
    Comeupance.
    Are
    Our.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Comeupance.

Is it even a real word? I think it's totally made up.

Well I'll be damned.
  • edited August 2007
    Actually, the Mexican Wal-Mart bagger deal is not that new of an idea. For most of my life, the family grocery shopping was done at the commissary on whichever military base we were stationed at. The baggers would not only bag the purchased items, but they would also carry them to the car for you, and load them for you as well. Said baggers were not paid by the commissary, but rely on tips alone as a source of income. Not only did they make good money, but they made the shopping experience even easier than usual. Well worth the three to five dollar tip we always gave. If you purchased less than a certain amount of items, depending on bulk, the baggers would only off to carry them out for you, and if they didn't, they would refuse tips for the bagging done. It worked out well.
    Post edited by WallyBman on