This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott drives a death trap.

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
Forbes has rated the Mazda 3 as one of the most dangerous vehicles on the roads. For all of your ranting against insurance, it sounds like you really need it!

I came across this because I was seriously considering an M3 as my next vehicle. I settled on a Nissan. If they'd just beef up the safety features (no side airbags??), I'd buy a Mazda in a heartbeat.

Comments

• First off, it's the very last car in the least. So the least dangerous of the most dangerous. Next, I present to you the text in the article.
    Score: 113

Consumer Reports' accident avoidance: Much better than average

The Mazda3 has been the darling of automotive critics. The styling is unique and still stands out several years after introduction, the powertrain is peppy, and it's one of the best-handling small cars. Now for the bad part: Both the sedan and hatchback versions of the 3 fared very poorly in side-impact crash tests, garnering a lowly three-star rating from NHTSA and the lowest "Poor" rating from the IIHS. Side airbags aren't standard, either.
    In today's world of lemon laws, even the crappiest cars are great. Even the most dangerous new car is stupidly safe. The days of Yugos and Novas are long gone. Other than the SUVs that tip over at the drop of a hat, you really have a lot fewer reasons to worry about your car failing you than you did just a decade ago.

Not only that, but most of the safety features on a car are insignificant when compared to the seatbelt. Air bags and crumple zones definitely increase your chances if you do get in a crash, but the seatbelt trumps them all. Just wearing a functioning seatbelt in the proper fashion makes you safer than most drivers in the history of ever. Even then, if you get into a truly serious accident, you're screwed no matter what.

In the end, I don't really care all that much about vehicle safety ratings. If I'm that worried about safety, the best thing to do is not ever get in a car, because driving at all in any car is stupidly dangerous. Having more safety features, like those that allow race car drivers to walk away from crazy accidents, would be nice, but they aren't going to factor into my car-buying decision. I mostly concentrate on driving carefully so that I won't crash in the first place. If you do drive carefully and end up in a serious accident anyway, your decision to buy another brand of car probably isn't going to make the life and death difference.

Also, I was unaware that the airbags were non-standard on my car. I know for a fact that my car has a scarily crazy number of airbags all over the place. The thought of all those bags going off frightens me more than the thought of crashing.
  • I drive a 20 y/o car that's . . . well . . . you know . . . no where NEAR as safe as Scott's Mazda.
  • If you do drive carefully and end up in a serious accident anyway, your decision to buy another brand of car probably isn't going to make the life and death difference.
    Probably. But a lot of people guessed wrong for the stats to be what they are.

One thing that most people don't take into account when buying a new car are the insurance rates. You may be able to get a nicer car for the same $$$ when you factor in insurance rates.

One thing I found when car shopping was that nobody made a car that was perfect. There is always a trade-off to be made. Bigger car = less gas mileage, cheaper car = fewer features, etc, etc. I opted for safety since I've got two kids. I suspect that if I was single it would not have been my primary concern.
  • Also depending on the type of Nissan you have, you can trick out the car pretty nicely. If your into that sort of geekery. Personally, I want to get a better car, either an older model of car from the 70's(such as a '79 FIrebird, White with a Gold bird on the Hood) or a newer Import car. Money is just the next concern...
  • edited August 2007
    HA! I must have the oldest car here then, mine is an 1983 Datsun 280ZX, it is nowhere near safe, it is nowhere near mint condition (but its getting there)1041a.jpg
    it should look kinda like that, I still have to change the brake calipers, new suspension and then a turbo or supercharger.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm currently driving a '95 chevy corsica, light blue, with all my bumper sticker appreciation on death metal.
  • edited August 2007
    I work for a law firm that represents major American car companies in lemon law matters for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. Make and model can make a difference in regard to life or death in accidents, that being said, what Scott points out - that even the most unsafe car today is incredibly safe compared to those of yesteryear - is quite true. Keep in mind also that the same car (year, make and model) can differ hugely because many companies utilize "equivalent" parts. These parts are similar in function, but can be made by two different companies in two different countries, with two different sets of safety standards. Owing to this, the standard of quality for any given make and model is questionable.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited August 2007
    Also depending on the type of Nissan you have, you can trick out the car pretty nicely.
    I have to admit that I've never understood this. Tricking out a car can be quite expensive. I'm amazed when I see kids driving a $14,000 Honda Civic with $6,000 thrown into it just to beat the crap out of the engine. I'd rather buy a $20,000 car. Besides, good luck getting affordable insurance to cover everything if you crash it. And who would want to buy a car like that used? There is no way you can get a decent re-sale price. I guess I'm sounding like an old fart, but I've always viewed cars as something to get me from point A to point B. I've never enjoyed spending money on them.

Today is the last day with my 1995 Saab, so I had an older car too! I drive cars until they are no longer reliable. Living in a rural area, I like to have a little confidence in my vehicle. Still... I've never been a fan of trading in a car with 40,000 miles on it. I'd much rather get my money's worth, and keep the car until it's no longer practical to drive it. Of all the things Americans waste money on, automobiles have to be right up there on the top of the list.

For my last two vehicle purchases, I've really wanted to buy a used car. However, for Japanese models, they just don't seem to be a decent value - especially when you factor in new car incentives. Of course if you want to buy a Pontiac or a Chevy, that's a different story.

That brings me to another thought... who in their right mind would purchase a new GM, Chrysler/Dodge or Ford? I test drove some, and they did absolutely nothing for me. Factor in the reliability issues, and I just don't get it. Unless you need a specific vehicle (e.g. a Jeep), why are people buying these?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited August 2007
    err... a Dodge viper? New charger? I'd buy one of those.

It's like anime, either you get it or you totally don't. I bought a $2000 rust bucket, that hardly makes 22mpg, 2.8cc 6 inline cylinders.

I've spent about $2000 more on it, and plan to spend $5000 or $8000 more and I know that NO ONE will buy my car for more than $3000, but its my hobby, I love my car, I love to ride it, and love when people ask about it, I don't race it, and don't care for such things.

So sometimes people buy the cars just because they like it.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Personally I have no interest in tricking out my car, but I understand people who do. It's no different than people who overclock their CPUs or hack their DS to control their dishwasher. Some of the modifications are purely cosmetic, so it depends on your personal taste whether it is a waste or not. Some of the modifications are for performance reasons. Depending on the exact modification, it could be worthwhile or stupid. Properly installing a turbo on certain cars can get you significant extra gas mileage as well as horsepower.

In summary. Some modifications are not without merit, while others are just a waste. However, regardless of what modifications you actually make, you are at least doing something productive and learning something useful. I'm not about to rice out my car, but at least it is a hobby I can somewhat respect. When people who engage in the hobby only perform useful modifications, I can respect them even more.
  • Forbes has rated the Mazda 3 asone of the most dangerous vehicles on the roads.For all of your ranting against insurance, it sounds like you really need it!

I came across this because I was seriously considering an M3 as my next vehicle. I settled on a Nissan. If they'd just beef up the safety features (no side airbags??), I'd buy a Mazda in a heartbeat.
    Hey, the Mazda is a luxury compared to the Ford Pinto.
  • Holy necro-post!
  • These necro-posts are getting ridiculous. It's not just one or two, they are a daily occurrence now.
  • These necro-posts are getting ridiculous. It's not just one or two, they are a daily occurrence now.
    Better than people creating new threads on stuff that has already been created or talked about.
  • Better than people creating new threads on stuff that has already been created or talked about.
    I agree. The age of a thread has nothing to do with it. Just the quality of the bumping post.
    Which is what I have to complain about in this post, personally.
  • American cars are awesome. You're all so lucky.
    Um, no.
    rofl. I hope dutopia is joking.

40 hp, 2000 lbs, and sharp metal everywhere. It uses a swing-axle suspension with a rear-mounted engine, one of the main things Nader criticized.
    rofl. I hope dutopia is joking.
    Maybe it's a grass is greener situation.