This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Modding

edited August 2007 in Video Games
So I have decided to mod my PS 2 , lets see what happens :P
I am using a solderless DMS 4 lite :P
Have anyone ever mod a console?
I am doing this because my warranty is gone and I really want to play import games :D

Comments

• If you want to play import games wouldn't it be easier to use a boot disc solution such as swap magic, since the full extend of modding involves removing the drive tray cover in order to use a slide card.
  • Well you are right, but the constant opening and closing of the tray can damage it, well at least that is what I have heard, also depending the operating system to play diferent kind of roms from many different consoles. So far the instalation was easy now to get the flash CD with the new BIOS.
  • Does anyone know if there is a "boot disk" out for the Wii? I have a few import GC titles that I would prefer to play using my Wii.
  • Boot disc solutions generally suck.  I'd much rather go through a bunch of trouble all at once, and then just be able to use my machine easily from that point forward.
    Way back, I bought a PS1 for $99.  Before I'd even plugged it in, I installed a six-pin mod chip.  I downloaded one ISO from WinMX just to test of the modding was successful.  I then acquired every mix of DDR available to me.  To this day, I could count on one hand the number of non-DDR games that have been placed in that console... ^_~
    Seriously, modding the PS1 was, while challenging, very fun.
  • Rumor is that the recent Wii update may be bricking some modded Wiis.
  • Rumor is that the recent Wii update may be bricking some modded Wiis.You know, that reminded me of the problem I always forget about and overlook in modding.  Back when I modded my PS1, it's not like anything bad could happen other than me screwing up and breaking it.  Modern consoles, with their firmware updates and net connections, are much more dangerous to mod.  The companies have a vested interest in preventing modding, and the means to defeat many kinds of mod chips.
    Mod at your own risk.  Maybe swap discs are the way to go, at least until the firmware stabilizes.
  • Rym, why bother with all the fancy updates when you can send in the SWAT team?
    Seriously though I have a HDD attached PS2 which does the business and plays imports and other stuff strait from a hard disc. The main advantages are convenience and always having all my games ready to tote around with me. You'll need the PS2 network adapter but the only reason I would get the mod chip is if you want to do some of the cool messing around turning it into a media center (which for me would also include replacing the fan, F*** that thing is loud!) and emulation console.
  • Success!
    I was able to mod my PS2 with out destroying it and I was able to download the flash upgrade. I would definately recomend modding used consoles, specially if the modchip is solderless. If I can do it then anyone can do it :P