This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

360 Price Drop August 8th

edited August 2007 in Video Games
Okay Rym/Scott.... You gotta MAKE time for a 360 now... It's getting HELLA CHEAP.

*Yes, I wrote this article, no I am not pimping a site I work for. I am just using the closest article at my disposal - this information is also available on the Gamerscore blog

Comments

• $350 is NOT 'hella cheap'.

$200 is around the max I'll pay for a system. Beyond that, it' not worth my money.
  • $350 is NOT 'hella cheap'.

$200 is around the max I'll pay for a system. Beyond that, it' not worth my money.
    Lucky bastards. Your $200 would buy me 2 games.

• Lucky bastards. Your $200 would buy me 2 games.
    $200 buys four games...

• Lucky bastards. Your $200 would buy me 2 games.
    $200 buys four games...
    Aussie, remember Scott? My guess is conversion costs and such. Hey, while I'm at it, tuttle I have a question for you about Australian markets.

Anyways, I would have to agree with ArtBoy. The only reason why I bought a PS2 is because it was quite cheap for what it does. Not so much the console, (at $129) but all the games are less than ten dollars now. I will certainly buy an Xbox 360 by January if not later in the coming year.
  • 200 bucks? So you just got your PS2 huh, ArtBoy?

I have no problem paying what I did for some of my systems. While yeah, it is expensive, the entertainment I've got is well worth the damage, except for maybe the Wii. I NEVER play that thing anymore. I play my 360 a TON, the Live service is really great, even if it costs, but I dig the Xbox a lot. The new price is totally worth it.

/shill
    I also bought a PS3... Erm... Pricey, but I like it. :)
  • After hearing what my cousin's 360 did, I don't ever want one. But then again, it could be that he's got 6 munchkins running around, so that could have something to do with it.
  • I've been thinking about getting a 360 but I think I shall wait until their next run. With the failure rate it appears that there was something wrong in the manufacturing process. Once they fix that it should be all good.

Most gaming things in Australia cost more, and continue to cost more despite the fact that our dollar keeps improving against the US dollar.
  • our dollar keeps improving against the US dollar.
    Canada's too, yet everything costs 10, or 50 dollars more for software and hardware respectively.
  • Exactly. The Spectacular failure rate of the 360 scares me, especially for that price.

And I will never, ever buy a PS3. There are no games on it I want to play, the price is obscene for the system and games, and I have no want for the 'added feature' of being able to play Blu-Ray stuff since i don't have an HD TV AND the fact that HD DVD's will likely be cheaper than the Blu-Ray. PS3 was poorly designed if they had to make it that expensive.

And my PS2 was about 200, and also served me for a time as a DVD player. Games are also relatively cheap for it, not usually breaking the $50 mark.
  • The PS2 is still probably the best overall console to own at the moment if you're into console gaming.  ^_^
  • edited August 2007

The Spectacular failure rate of the 360 scares me
    Yeah, not blaming you there. 

The PS2 is still probably the best overall console to own at the moment

I agree there. I bought a PS3 because I wanted one. I was interested enough in Blu Ray (to go along with my new HDTV!), as well as in a couple of the games.  But, more importantly, this fall will be 60% PS3 gaming, 40% 360 gaming.  There's way too much coming on PS3, and all I will play on the X-box is Halo, strictly because all of my friends are buying it, and I heart me some Co-op.

Man... Halo blows.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Whip out yer PS2s and N64s, folks. It's gonna be a long wait . . . .
  • edited August 2007
    Meh. I am content with the gaming setup I have now. I have enough games now to last until Warhawk, then it's an onslaught of games I'll be buying.
    Lair, Uncharted, Halo, Mass Effect, Warhawk... Maybe Smash Brothers.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • PS2 still the best? pff, I'm still trying to beat Super Mario Bros.

Damn world 8..
  • Could someone give me a valid reason why Halo blows?
    Why is it good? There is nothing new in it that PC FPS games haven't done years before it came out.
  • edited August 2007
    A game can be solid and not innovative or revolutionary. Okay good controlling vehicles which Battlefield and Unreal haven't had and balanced weapons, in Halo 3 or Team Hardcore in Halo 2 atleast. Also PC gaming is dying for the most part.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • Also a controller is less limiting overall for video games than keyboard and mouse. I mean sure you can play a driving game on a keyboard, but a controller is far superior.
    It doesn't blow, it's just not awesome. When Halo came out, the rest of us were playing way better fpses on the PC. Basically you had the same genre of game, fps, on two different platforms, pc and console. The console fps games were at least 5 years behind the PC fps games. When Halo came out, it was basically this huge catch-up. Halo was light years better than every console fps that had come before, but it wasn't quite as good as the PC fpses of the day. For people who had never played PC fpses, Halo was some amazing game. To the people who had been playing Counter-Strike for years, it was meh. Since then, both PC fpses and console fpses have advanced at a steady pace. However, Valve has remained at the forefront of the genre. When their trio of games, TF2, Portal and HL2:E2 come out, it will only further secure that position. Yes, I know those games will be released for consoles and PC at the same time, but I can guarantee the PC will be the superior platform for them.
  • Also a controller is less limiting overall for video games than keyboard and mouse. I mean sure you can play a driving game on a keyboard, but a controller is far superior.
    Different games require different inputs. First-person shooters need keyboards and mice. Racing games need steering wheels. Platform games need gamepads. Fighting games need joysticks. Guitar Hero needs plastic guitars. DDR needs four big stompy arrows. Nobody ever said that any particular input device is inferior across the board. We're just saying that for fpses, the keyboard and mouse is the way to go.
    Cause I suck at it.
  • Personally I own CS, CS Source, UT, UT 2k3, UT 2k4, Quake 4 and besides CS, Halo 2 on Team Hardcore is the most balanced FPS weapon wise I've played. Every time I play Halo 2 online I can easily defend myself with my spawning throughout the entire game. Quake 3 did have the rail gun, but you didn't spawn with it, which lead to people whoring the gun.
    Cause I suck at it.
    Best answer ever.
  • edited August 2007
    Personally I own CS, CS Source, UT, UT 2k3, UT 2k4, Quake 4 and besides CS, Halo 2 on Team Hardcore is the most balanced FPS weapon wise I've played. Every time I play Halo 2 online I can easily defend myself with my spawning throughout the entire game. Quake 3 did have the rail gun, but you didn't spawn with it, which lead to people whoring the gun.
    Gun whoring is a problem that is not solved by making all the various weapons balanced in power, but by changing the method of acquiring weapons. In Quake 3 the rail gun would usually appear in just one location per map, and would respawn after a period of time. The reason this would create a possibility of whoring is obvious.

Personally, I think that in any multiplayer fps, if all the weapons are equally balanced, what is the point? If all weapons are created equal, including the one you spawn with, then why have different weapons at all? Of all the fpses I've played, I think that Natural selection has the best handling of the weapon situation. In general though, some guns are just better than others, and that's the way it should be.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Personally, I think that in any multiplayer fps, if all the weapons are equally balanced, what is the point? If all weapons are created equal, including the one you spawn with, then why have different weapons at all? Of all the fpses I've played, I think that Natural selection has the best handling of the weapon situation. In general though, some guns are just better than others, and that's the way it should be.

That's why I can't wait for Team Fortress - It looks like the most awesome mix of classes ever.
  • I don't mean 100% equal in power, but if I can spawn with a gun that I can get by with then that's much better if I spawn with a weapon that can't do shit against any other more powerful weapon. In team hardcore on Halo 2 you spawn with a mid ranged weapon which allows you to defend yourself against snipers, where as in Quake 3 if you spawn you can't do shit against someone with a rail gun and even though you spawn with a good weapon in Halo 2, you still want other weapons because they are superior in certain situations. Oh and for what Halo 2 did that's new, how about being able to go on their website, check all past matches and check their scores and see an overhead map of where you killed the enemy and any medals you received and such. Halo 3 even records every match in which you can save, edit and send them to your friends. Sure there is fraps, but it isn't nearly as polished as something like this. Take a look at some of the maps in Halo 2 and the weapon placement is near perfect, for every strong weapon for the offensive team there is an equivelent, but different, defensive weapon. For the most part the maps are rarely one sided. I'd say Halo is as solid as you can get on a console, I mean look at how big the community is that they would post montages to impress people.
  • Oh and for what Halo 2 did that's new, how about being able to go on their website, check all past matches and check their scores and see an overhead map of where you killed the enemy and any medals you received and such. Halo 3 even records every match in which you can save, edit and send them to your friends. Sure there is fraps, but it isn't nearly as polished as something like this.
    This is nothing new. Hell, even recording scores is something which has been done far more extensively via Battlefield. Take a look at my profile from when I played.

/I'm probably the only Battlefield junkie here...
  • edited August 2007
    Halo 2 is older than Battlefield 2.  In late 2004, that was new.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2007
    Also, I don't see an overhead map of where you've killed someone.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Also,I don't see an overhead map of where you'vekilled someone.

Uhhh.... that matter's when? I see no point in that.