This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hating dimes?

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
http://ihatedimes.com/

My friend Cess found this while researching a paper. Hilarious.

Comments

• I use dimes all the time when making change. Dimes are awesome.
  • Dimes eat babies!
  • All your American monies are crazy. You know all your notes are the same size and same colour right?
  • All your American monies are crazy. You know all your notes are the same size and same colour right?
    That's not true anymore. They've been different sizes for years and they're getting different hues of green now.
  • edited August 2007
    They've been different sizes for years
    No they haven't.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2007

Dimes are awesome.  Much nicer than nickels, those bastard idiot step-children of American coinage. 

A penny, I can drop and forget.  A dime is tiny, and worth the space/weight it takes up.  A quarter is REAL MONEY still.  A nickel is big and ungainly, yet barely rounds up to a tangible amount of money.  I don't want to give up five cents, but I hate the damned things bouncing around in my pocket.

I do miss living at RIT, where everything I could ever conceive of buying on campus could be had with a swipe of my student ID.  I went cashless for months at a time.  New York is a different story.  Most "normal" business take cards, but street vendors and low-end eateries most definitely do not.

When I was younger, I used to have a policy of always carrying at least a couple hundred dollars on me for emergencies.  A big part of this secret stash was a single hundred-dollar bill that my father had given me in times now ancient.  As I became ever-more-destitute at uni, I spent all of my emergency money save that single hundred dollar bill.  I kept it on my person at all times, but never once met with a situation that demanded its use.

Now, with the massive credit I carry, emergency cash like that is largely obsolete.  I gave the "emergency Ben" away as a gift.  I do keep an emergency $50 around, but that's just to get me home in the event of a sudden and prolonged failure of the credit system.

I used to collect coins, mostly due to the existing collection in my family.  We have a lot of pre-Castro Cuban money and various other interesting tidbits.  My favourite is still the Nazi German coin my grandfather smuggled out of the country after the war before it could be destroyed.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2007
    Pennies are pretty much useless, the only reason things cost £ x.99 is to validate the existence of the penny, 10 pence pieces on the other hand are brilliant especially for vending machines same with the 20, i don't like pound coins though the notes were much better. I've always have trouble with my money as very few places accept Scottish currency outside Scotland, even in England I've had to argue with shopkeepers that my money is valid despite them being exactly the same, the only difference is the images. Now, I just change my money into bank of England notes if I'm traveling out of the country.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Pennies are the most important currency, because sellers of necessities deal in bulk.

Think of the Superman 3 scheme. Increasing the cost of a can of corn by one cent costs the consumer virtually nothing, but yields a tremendous net increase in sales for a huge company like Betty Crocker (which owns Jolly Green Giant).
  • Pennies are the most important currency, because sellers of necessities deal in bulk.

Think of the Superman 3 scheme. Increasing the cost of a can of corn by one cent costs the consumer virtually nothing, but yields a tremendous net increase in sales for a huge company like Betty Crocker (which owns Jolly Green Giant).
    It doesn't increase sales, it increases revenues.

Also, while what you say is true, we are talking about physical pennies here, not the concept of a single cent that a penny symbolizes.
  • Pennies take up way to much space. I hate it when people wait in drive-thru for one penny. It is really annoying.