This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Domain Registration Services

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
I am thinking about getting a domain to host a small website. I know of Go Daddy, mostly due to their tacky advertising and ridiculous spokes-models. I have to imagine if they have enough money for all the marketing, they are gouging their users with their price. In this forums opinion, who does the best job of hosting for the least money. Thank you all.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    You are asking two questions.

1. Who should I register my domain name with.
    2. Who should I use to host my site.

I use GoDaddy for all my domain registrations. Believe it or not I prefer to use GoDaddy because they do not have a 1-800 number. Becuase calling godaddy is a toll call I know that the odds are most people who call them will not to ask a BS questions. My hold times have always been low and their techs (Americans) always get me a fix in minutes.

As for hosting... Can you tell us what sort of site you plan to publish? If you are talking about a non-comercial site I can host you for cheap on my server.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Thanks HMTKSteve...

I have .mac and my site will be hosted there..at least at first. I am just looking at having a family site, and I thought having a meaningful domain might be fun. I thank you very much for your answer. It makes a ton of sense.

It's also not much money!

Thanks again!

OGJ
  • edited August 2007
    I use Joker (joker.com) for all my domains. They're cheap, fast, no-frills etc..

The only issue I had with them was when their name servers fell victim to a denial of service attack a number of years ago.
    Post edited by Hecate on
  • edited August 2007
    I've used www.powweb.com in the past. They're substantially less tacky than godaddy and provided excellent service when I was with them. I'm not with them anymore solely because I no longer have a website, if I started a site tomorrow that is where I would host it again.

Actually, it looks like they've added a lot of awesome new built in software and such now too.
    Post edited by raquor on