This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When did you first hate video games?

edited August 2007 in Video Games
What year or range of years did you hate the direction the video games industry went towards? I personally hate 2003-current video games because of the lack of innovation and the drastic increase of whored movie licensed games.

Comments

• Hmm, I agree, but more so at the end of the Dreamcast's life. The PS2 generally did more harm to the game industry than it did good. At the moment games cost too much, that's why the DS and the Wii are doing so well. Smaller budgets = more room to experiment.
  • I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hate video games, there have always been crappy licensed games, the PS2 was a brilliant console with a ton of terrific titles, game dynamics only continue to improve as new technology becomes available, the gaming industry is stronger than ever, and games are cheaper than ever before -- especially when inflation is considered.

I love the gaming market.
  • I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't hate video games, there have always been crappy licensed games, the PS2 was a brilliant console with a ton of terrific titles, game dynamics only continue to improve as new technology becomes available, the gaming industry is stronger than ever, and games are cheaper than ever before -- especially when inflation is considered.

I love the gaming market.
    I love gaming too, but I can also see where it goes wrong. Sony and Microsoft's decision to keep going the same direction was alienating a huge potential audience and developers are struggling with the huge cost of making games has created worrying trend of smaller developers (and even big publishers such as Acclaim, Infograms) going out of business or being swallowed up by the likes of EA. This has had a knock on effect on how games are funded and what types of projects get the green light. It's a shame really.

There is a way out of this. Just look at Hollywood. Small indie film's costs are offset against the profits of larger blockbusters, therefore pushing the industry forward as a whole. If big publishers use this model I think there would be a more interesting array of games that would benefit everyone.
  • Wayne Gretzky Hockey for the NES was the first video game I remember not liking. Don't confuse it with Wayne Gretzky Hockey for the N64, that's actually a decent hockey game.
  • I personally would rather see more live arcade games than shitty licensed titles and the whored out fpses. I personally enjoy Pacman C.E. more than Gears of War.
  • I have hated and loved them at the same time when I began playing but probably hated them more than loved them near the end of the PS2. Everyone keeps making the same kind of games and I just want to play differently for once.
  • edited August 2007
    What year or range of years did you hate the direction the video games industry went towards?
    I don't. There are some things that are wrong with the industry, but I don't hate the direction its gone in. It certainly seems like a waste of hate if you ask me, there are certainly better things to hate then such and abstract concept as the direction of an industry, especially when it changes all the time.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Alright then what year or range of years were you stuck in a gaming rut?