This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Think you're going to be into anime long?

edited August 2007 in Anime
Okay I've been into anime going on 8 years now and it wasn't until recently someone said, "someday you'll be out of it." Then I thought hmmm, will I? I surely can't see it. I see my future self as a 30 year old complaining about the new shonen series that create tardfans or a grandmother watching Miyazaki films with a grandchild. I did meet and still know some who have grew out of it but anime is such a hard thing to forget. What do you guys think about it?

Comments

• The kids watching shonen fighting shows these days on Cartoon Network (Naruto, One Piece, etc.) will surely grow out of it as they get older, unless they strive to find better, more mature anime as they age. Take my older brother for example, when we were younger, we would watch Pokemon, Sailor Moon and shows like that together, but now that he's gotten older, he's grown out of it. I, on the other hand, once done with the Cartoon Network fare, craved for more. Thus, I moved onto FLCL and Miyazaki films, then to Cowboy Bebop, and, more recently, to Satoshi Kon's work and older shows such as Escaflowne and Trigun. I'm just a "punk kid" right now, but I doubt that I will ever grow out of anime, as long as great directors like Kon keep putting out intelligent and mature films and shows.
  • I don't see myself getting out of it entirely, but what I have noticed is that I have become much more discriminating in what I watch and what catches my eye.
  • The only thing preventing me from watching as much anime as I used to is time.
  • The only thing preventing me from watching as much anime as I used to is time.Yeah . . . and a job.
  • I have been into anime for around ten years, and I seriously doubt that I will ever "outgrow" it. Anime is a lifestyle not some "fad."
  • I have been into anime for around ten years, and I seriously doubt that I will ever "outgrow" it. Anime is a lifestyle not some "fad."
    A "lifestyle"? Really? I treat anime more as just a form of entertainment, in the same way that I treat video games, books, and films as a form of entertainment. I don't think I'll out grow watching live action films, so I don't think I'll outgrow watching animated Japanese films.
  • Whoa Li! Anime and anime fans were always a huge part of my life but I never thought of it as a lifestyle itself. This is provoking thoughts in my head But I do doubt that I wouldn't grow out of it! As long as some event that threatens my otakudom. My family calls it adulthood. (DUM DUM DUUUUMMMMMM) LOL well I'm already am so not even that!

The only thing preventing me from watching as much anime as I used to is time.

Yeah . . . and a job.
    All work and no anime makes Viga a dull girl.

That eventually goes kamikaze on herself.