This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

edited August 2007 in Movies
Although it was once a bizarre rumor, director Ridley Scott has confirmed his plans to work on a movie based off the popular board game, Monopoly. Speaking to The LA Times, Scott says: "Monopoly is still the most popular board game -- I might be misquoting! -- in the world. So it's really finding the universe for that game. Because clearly it ought to be humorous and for the family -- the funny way it brings out, particularly when your uncle suddenly gets Park Lane and -- in England, we have Park Lane, Mayfair and Barclay Square, what's it in America? Park and Madison? So you watch people change. You're witness to Jekyll and Hyde. Somewhere in that is a hysterically amusing and I think rather exciting film." I imagine he's referring to Park Place and Boardwalk -- two of the most expensive and lucrative spots in the American version.

Aside from trying to imagine what a Ridley Scott version of Monopoly would look like (keep in mind this is the guy who brought us Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, and the upcoming, sure-to-be-Oscar-nominated American Gangster), I also wonder if there's a way to make this a family-oriented movie. Even the LA Times asks whether the film will focus on "our gilded age of greed," to which Scott replied: "That as well. Isn't that comical?" I have not played one game of Monopoly that hasn't ended in a fight (one came close to ending in a fist fight), so to bring this down to a level that kids and adults can relate to -- well, it could be tough. On whether Scott will look to the big-screen version of the board game Clue as a reference, he admits to not "really" seeing it, but at the same time says: "But I think it was quite clever." Personally, I think it will all come down to the characters. And no, I don't think the game pieces should be characters that talk. A thimble? C'mon. Do you think a Monopoly movie could work?

Source: Cinematical

Comments