This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Glory Days 2 for DS

AbZAbZ
edited August 2007 in Video Games
I picked this DS game up, and I must say I am enjoying it so far. It takes elements from RTS's ,lemmings and metal slug to create a unique game play experience. The full review for the game is here, I suggest everyone give it ago.

Comments

• Damn, I heard the review on "1up Yours podcast" and was very interested in the game, however I didn't notice it anywhere when I looked around in D.C. this last weekend. Will have to find it. W00t.
  • Well, I "demoed" it using my NeoFlash MK5, and I enjoyed it enough to start looking for it. Luckily I found a new(sealed) copy on eBay, and won it with my first, and only, bid of $10, plus $5 for shipping!

And I agree whole-heartedly with the guy from 1up; it is a side-scrolling Advance Wars!
  • This game is like Advance Wars in theme only. I played a few levels of it, and it's basically a newer and much better version of choplifter. However, on top of the awesome choplifter action, it is also this other game of managing units and resources and money. The game would be great if it was either of these two games alone, but trying to play them both at the same time is too much. The controls for doing both these things at once are a mess. I was really having fun with the game in the first two missions where all I had to do was play choplifter. Then when I had to start doing more than that, the game got very annoying very quickly.
  • edited August 2007
    You can change the settings to have the computer purchase your units for you. The first time I played the first airplane level, I had some problems with the bombing mechanic, until I realized that if you get to a certain altitude, the camera pulls back making it much easier. You can set the camera to pull back at a fairly low altitude in the settings menu. Once you get into the game, everything falls into place pretty well.

And as for it being Advance Wars in theme only, the units look a lot like the AW units, and last time I checked, the basis of AW is "managing units and resources and money." :P
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • You can change the settings to have the computer purchase your units for you.
    This was not made clear to me in the tutorial. If this automatic unit purchasing AI works well, then this is a very good choplifter game.

And as for it being Advance Wars in theme only, the units look a lot like the AW units, and last time I checked, the basis of AW is "managing units and resources and money." :P
    While one mechanic of Advance Wars is purchasing units and managing resources it is primarily a turn-based strategy game of maneuvering units on a grid. Glory Days is primarily choplifter. While the themes of both games are very similar, that is the only real similarity between these two games.
  • I'm waiting for someone to create a wi-fi enabled DS "Treasure Hunting" game that requires you to actually travel around to find clues. Wouldn't that be the shit? It could even be IP based so that if you enter the area of a wi-fi router (whether you can connect or not) the system takes into account that you are now somewhere else and opens up a new game area.