This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Bioshock Demo for the 360.

edited August 2007 in Video Games
I downloaded and played the Bioshock demo last night. I loved the intro, I loved the plot and the themes. But darnit, I wish it weren't so much of a shooter! The Resident Evil series is not a free for all shooter. There are puzzles and not zillions of things happening on the screen all at once. Here, I was reminded very much of Doom, Quake, Halo and all the other shooters in the universe. I may well spend the money on it because the plot and atmosphere might be well worth the generic shooter BS. I shouldn't complain. It held my interest for the whole demo.

Comments

• I've never played any of the Shock games, although I've been preparing to play System Shock 2 for awhile now. However, it has been my understanding that despite having RPG-style elements, these games are largely fpses first and foremost. I don't know what you were expecting. Resident Evils are not fpses, they're mostly puzzle/action games. I don't know what you were expecting.
  • The demo - while it took for-fuck-ever to download - was awesome. Makes me really look forward to picking up the game. Really creepy and a good story set-up.
  • I've never played any of the Shock games, although I've been preparing to play System Shock 2 for awhile now. However, it has been my understanding that despite having RPG-style elements, these games are largely fpses first and foremost. I don't know what you were expecting. Resident Evils are not fpses, they're mostly puzzle/action games. I don't know what you were expecting.
    No, you're right. I've been following this game for a while and it was what I expected. My wishing otherwise was along the lines of "if wishes were horses, everyone would ride." I noticed that they seemed to have "monstered up" the little sisters to look less like real children. To me, that's an improvement.
  • I didn't give a shit about this game for the longest time, but I'm very excited. I'm on vacation right now, and I can't get to my box right now :(
  • As far as atmospherics in a game are concerned, it blows even Half-Life 2 out of the water. Travelling through that... conveyance (can't remember the name) at the beginning was awe-inspiring. But to be slightly critical, its gameplay mechanics seem a bit too much like System Shock 2. Not that that's a terribly bad thing, but it does seem forced, in a fan service-ish kind of way.

All considered, it's the best demo I've played on the 360. Definitely worth the download.
  • After playing the demo I am so happy I pre-ordered it. I'm not really a fan of sort of creepy shooters, but I'm looking forward to playing this.

And although there are a lot of shooting parts, you don't necessarily have to shoot. I found myself using the lighting a lot, and then later in the demo hacking a lot of the defensive robots, letting them take care of all the enemies for me. I think its really a matter of how you play it.
  • That was the first time in a long game that I have been that creeped out by a game, but boy did I love it. Also, the game looks beautiful, especially all of the water effects. You can be assured that I will buy this game the day it comes out.
  • What are the minimum system requirements for this going to be? I'll play the demo on my PC if it will run.
  • edited August 2007
    Bioshock definately blows Half Life 2's atmosphere out of the water. It's a different kind of fps, it really does do the rpg/fps hybrid well.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • This game comes out next week, I hope.
  • edited August 2007
    1up has a review copy already, so most likely it'll come out on time.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • I just read on Joystiq that Bioshock will be available on Steam 8/21, so Scott can play. :)
  • I just read on Joystiq that Bioshock will be available on Steam 8/21, so Scott can play. :)
    Will it run on my hardware?
  • Wow, those are steep! I'm sticking with the 360 version. It looks gorgeous on the 360 in HD. Even with all the 360's woes, you can't beat it performance-wise for the price.
  • Those system requirements make me wanna wait to upgrade my pc. If I can wait another 3 years, I should be able to get like a quad core cpu, 4GB of RAM and an awesome direct x 10 card for $600-$700.
  • Wow, those are steep! I'm sticking with the 360 version. It looks gorgeous on the 360 in HD. Even with all the 360's woes, you can't beat it performance-wise for the price.
    The 360 is definitely the way to go if you want to play all of the awesome new games coming out without having to upgrade your computer. I am extremely happy I purchased one.
  • Bioshock comes out today ^_^
  • Bioshock comes out today ^_^
    I got the Demo. We'll see if it actually works on my computer.
  • System Shock 2 was the only FPS to ever thoroughly creep me out. I still play it occasionally with the Rebirth mods to try and cover up the horrible character models. I couldn't imagine playing BioShock on a console though, the mouse was vital in SS and SS2 for navigating inventories, keypads, etc. A huge part of the game was managing items in your inventory while simultaneously running like hell to get away from the suicidal droids and hybrid mothers.
  • If I can get Vista to work (or Microsoft releases DX10 for XP), then I'll definitely buy it. It seems my copy of Vista won't run on the hard drive I tried. Hopefully it's a simple hardware issue and I can get it to run, if only for Bioshock. I must say, the game looks amazing (in DX10 screenshots I've seen).
  • I bought the game a few days back for the 360 and I'm loving it. Nothing like a late summer classic in the making.
  • This game is making me a shut-in.
  • Yeah, I wish I had more time to dedicated to it. Hopefully the weekend will prove fruitful.
  • This is the first game I've ever played where I'll sit down for an hour to play, but after 15 minutes I'm so freaked out that I want to stop, and yet since I still have 45 minutes free, but I just push on because I want to see what happens next. Since I know it'll be awesome.
  • Big Daddys are a bitch to kill, especially when you play on the hardest difficulty.
  • The Big Daddys remind me a lot of the Borg - they totally ignore you unless you bother them. Though I did notice a funny scene where I ran it to one and he made a slow swatting motion at me as if I was a fly.