This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FPS: Good=Fun?

edited August 2007 in Video Games
I have a question primarilly for Scrym, but any other FPS/Boardgamers may chime in also. Scrym have talked at length about the distinction between a good board game and a fun board game. Listening to the most recent episode, I wonder if the same distinction can be made for FPS's? Are there FPS's that you recognize as objectively good, but just aren't very much fun, and vice versa?

Comments

• Halo. I guess it's exciting, but it's just another FPS.
  • Yeah. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been my most recent brush with the like. The story is quite interesting, and the world is a fantastically immersing environment. However, poor mission arrangement, lack of depth, and a weapon arrangement that has little if no diversity takes away from the game. While the game is very good for pulling concepts like that of Fallout into the modern day, and the photo-realistic cut scenes do so much, the game overall is just not much fun.
  • The point we make about board games seems to hold true for most things. Those things which are well crafted are not necessarily the most enjoyable, and vice versa. For example. Star Wars is not as "good" a movie as Citizen Kane, but Star Wars is more fun. Tigris and Euphrates is not as "good" a game as Go, but T&E is more enjoyable. With fpses, I've found that quite often the "good" fpses are more enjoyable. Counter-Strike is excellent and fun. However, you will always find the really bad, but fun, fps like Serious Sam. And you will also find the "good" but not so fun fps, like many of the fpses that try to be ultra-realistic.

The point is that no matter what you are talking about, the quality of something and how enjoyable it is are separate things. You can probably have a lot more fun with a big wheel than with Lance Armstrong's bike.
  • You can probably have a lot more fun with a big wheel than with Lance Armstrong's bike.

I kind of want an adult-sized bigwheel.
  • You can probably have a lot more fun with a big wheel than with Lance Armstrong's bike.

All I ask is for rubber tires on those wheels. Remember how the hard plastic 'tire' would always crack after a long while?
    Oh, and I want one of those skid-turn handles.

Seconded.
  • Give me armstrongs bike. I'd sell it on teh ebays for themz munniez!!one11one!

How big a wheel?

How big a wheel?
    You have no idea how much I've always wanted to ride one of those.
  • Behold:the Victorian era Big Wheel
    What? You didn't even go for the obvious one.
  • Behold:the Victorian era Big Wheel
    What? You didn't even go forthe obvious one.
    It was already posted fool!
  • Heh, I totally wasn't following this thread at all ^^;;