This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pinball Games

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
The main obstacle right now to getting a pinball is the space. We simply won't have the space for the near future. When I get the space, I'm gonna try my best to get:

Demolition Man (bad movie, great pinball)
South Park
The Addams Family
Theatre of Magic
Cyclone

What pinballs would you get if you had unlimited money/space? Why do computer pinball games kinda fall flat by comparison?

Comments

• My uncle is a single dentist. He has a lot of pinball machines, very old ones too. Personally I am also a fan of pinball. Cyclone is definitely one of my favorites. Fun House is also a favorite of mine. However, I've also found myself liking some of the newer machines like Family Guy, Simpsons and Lord of the Rings. One machine you want to stay away from is the Super Mario pinball machine. It is craptacular.
  • edited August 2007
    I've never seen the Family Guy, Simpsons and Lord of the Rings pinballs, but I spent HOURS playing Fun House.

I've played pinball MAMES, and they just don't capture the feeling. Theere was a budget game for the Xbox called Pure Pinball that wasn't too bad, but still not quite the same thing.

I bought my PS2 mainly for Flipnic.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If it's not real physical pinball, it's crap.
  • Oh my, when I was in Ohio there was an awesome place that had pinball/arcade machines for sale. I remember playing a Star Trek one repeatedly. It was awesome...
  • Anyone know of a good pinball emulator? I've seen the table files at arcade@home but could never get them going well.
  • edited August 2007
    Anyone know of a good pinball emulator? I've seen the table files at arcade@home but could never get them going well.
    I had the same trouble with trying to get pinball emulators to work. Then I found someone selling an emulator with a bunch of ROMs on eBay. It worked just fine and the tables are pretty well emulated, but it's still not the same as playing a real table.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Safecracker is objectively the best pinball game ever.
    /inside joke
  • I have to agree with Apreche, that if it's not a physical Pinball machine, the experience is crap, repetitive and boring.
    My favourite Pinball machines were Star Trek The Next Generation and Jurassic Park, I must have sunk atleast $50 into those machines over a year.

• The most fun I've ever had with a pinball machine was Safecracker.

They had it at RIT back in the day. The unique thing about the game was that it was not 'ball' based, it was 'time' based. In other words instead of loosing a ball when the pinball falls between the gutter, you lost playtime. You earned time by hitting certain targets on the machine. The goal, or plot if I may, was to break into this bank and crack the safe, getting the phat lewt inside.

The other neat gimmick was that if you 'cracked the safe' the game shot a large token out of the scoreboard on the back of the machine which rolled down on top of the glass towards you. That token could be put into a different slot in the front of the machine to unlock a special multi-ball game.

Links!:
    Safecracker Wiki
    Internet Pinball Machine Database

There are also some pinball games that incorporated holograms into the playfield that are kinda cool.
  • Ever played the South Park pinball machine?
    Ah, it's great. ^^
    It talks at you with phrases from the show.

Ah, good luck with your quest, though.
    I myself don't own any real machines,
    but my cousin has a really awesome
    Phantom of the Opera one, and I always
    play it whenever I'm there.

Personally, I think there are some pretty good console pinball games.
    I only own one, but I've tried a bunch of other.
    The Gottlieb Pinball Hall of Fame for the PSP has to be my most played game on that system, though.
    xD