This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need Help With RAM

edited August 2007 in Technology
I have recently discovered that I only have 256 mb of RAM on my computer, and therefore wanting an upgrade. I haven't opened my computer yet, so I am wondering what the ports look like, so I wont get confused.

If anybody could give a good explanation that would be great!

-coolbrow

Comments

• I have recently discovered that I only have 256 mb of RAM on my computer
    Recent discovery eh? Amazing. First off . . . this is what RAM looks like in your desktop.
    To figure out what kind of RAM you need in your system, go to Crucial press 'start my scan'. This will tell you everything you need to know about what type of RAM you'll need to upgrade your system.

Next see how many RAM slots you have in your computer (will require opening up the box) and get back to us with that information. Also give us all the tech specs of the system and your operating system (XP? Vista? etc.) and what you use your computer for (mostly office work, gaming, video editing, podcasting, everything). As a general rule I'd say at least a gig but this depends on what you do, what hardware you have, and how many slots you have.
  • edited August 2007
    I haven't opened my computer box yet, but I need DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700. I Only have two slots, and I can hold a maximum of 1 GB per slot. I have Windows XP and I use my computer for podcasting, some flash work, internet, AIM, and very little gaming.

I'm assuming that removing my current chip and adding two 512 MB chips should be fine (They work better as the same right?) or is just adding a 1GB chip better?.

Is this correct?
    -coolbrow
    Post edited by coolbrow on
  • I'm assuming that removing my current chip and adding two 512 MB chips should be fine (They work better as the same right?) or is just adding a 1GB chip better?.
    Depends. Some mother boards, if there are two ram chips of the same size and speed in certain slots, can read and write to both at the same time, improving speed.
  • So sometimes 1GB (2 x 512) is better than ~ 1.25 GB (1GB + 215)?

-coolbrow
  • You need to figure out if your motherboard supports dual-channel. If it does, then yes, 2x512 can be better because it will be less RAM, but faster. Either way, you probably want two 512MB sticks of PC3200 RAM. That will improve your computer's performance in a very noticeable and significant way. If you aren't gaming, it will be more than enough.
  • Ok thanks you guys are a big help!

-Coolbrow
  • Oh and also! Does anybody know where I can get cheap RAM? If so, please tell.

Thanks!
    -coolbrow
  • Oh and also! Does anybody know where I can get cheap RAM? If so, please tell.

Thanks!
    -coolbrow
    If you want computer parts, Newegg is it.
  • edited August 2007
    Thanks!
    One more thing, online it says 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200), is that what I need? And what is all that other stuff?

-coolbrow
  • Thanks!
    One more thing, online it says 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200), is that what I need? And what is all that other stuff?

-coolbrow
    Yes. That is actually the same type of RAM my computer uses. I just replaced my 2x256MB sticks with 2x1GB sticks. If you want my 256MB sticks, I will sell them to you.
  • edited August 2007
    I will think about it, I might need more than 512, but how much are you selling them for?
  • I will think about it, I might need more than 512, but how much are you selling them for?
    Shipping plus some bucks. Doesn't matter that much really.
  • I was expecting 512 too be a lot worse than 1.25, am I wrong? And what doesn't matter, me paying or how much RAM?
  • Sorry to drag this thread back up but does the fastest ram have the lowest or highest mhz?
  • Sorry to drag this thread back up but does the fastest ram have the lowest or highest mhz?
    RAM isn't measured in MHz, as far as I know. It's measured in millisecond access time. And lower is faster.
  • edited October 2007
    Ok, the list I was looking at had sizes and speeds all over the place. I think this is what I'm going to get.
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• RAM isn't measured in MHz, as far as I know. It's measured in millisecond access time. And lower is faster.
    The RAM itself isn't what you are measuring. You are measuring the clock speed of the bus that the RAM is on. That clock speed is measured in mhz.

• RAM isn't measured in MHz, as far as I know. It's measured in millisecond access time. And lower is faster.
    The RAM itself isn't what you are measuring. You are measuring the clock speed of the bus that the RAM is on. That clock speed is measured in mhz.
    So, faster = better, Y/n?
  • So, faster = better, Y/n?
    Depending on your motherboard/CPU there is a speed that is the maximum that your motherboard/cpu can handle without overclocking. That is the speed you should get. Overclocking is stupid.
  • Ok, the list I was looking at had sizes and speeds all over the place. I thinkthisis what I'm going to get.Are you sure your computer takes SO-DIMM and not regular DIMM?
  • It is a laptop (HP NX6325). Though I'm not sure what the difference between DIMM and SODIMM is.
  • edited October 2007
    SO-DIMM has a smaller profile and is therefore widely used in laptops. :)

(Edit: SO-DIMM vs. DIMM)
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • edited October 2007
    One thing I love about Newegg is the handy "memory configurator system." You plug in your system info, and it tells you which memory is compatible (money back guaranteed).
    Post edited by xenomouse on