This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcasts in Linux

edited April 2006 in Technology
Ok, so here is my problem. My hard drive crashed that was running Windows XP (No surprise there). I have also been running Fedora Core 3 on another computer. Until now, I have been subscribing to podcasts and videocasts through iTunes on Windows. Well, after this crash, I am fed up with Windows and I am going to use Linux for good on all my systems.

I reformatted and installed Ubuntu on the crashed drive. Now here is the problem. I am having trouble figuring out how to subscribe to podcasts on Ubuntu. I have read man files, Googled around and even found a list on Wikipedia of podcatchers for Linux. Unfortunately, I am lost and unsure of how to install software for Linux besides using the Repository, which does not have a podcatcher.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful as I haven't been able to listen to Geeknights in over a week because of this.

*** I would like to be able to subscribe to audio and video podcasts from the same application.

Comments

• edited April 2006
    I know that there is a Linux version of Juice Receiver, although I'm not 100% sure if it does video podcats. Also, gtkpod, the program which lets you use an iPod with Linux, can subscribe to podcasts. The new Mozilla Songbird, which is an attempt to make an iTunes competitor on the Firefox engine, might do the trick also. However, that is very beta. If you're really hardcore you can use something like bashpodder.

Also, do not discount the usefulness of web applications. If you use something like google reader, bloglines, yahoo podcasts, etc. You can get all the functionality without having an actual desktop application.

Lastly, some people are running iTunes in wine. Don't ask me how. I tried once and it didn't work.

Edit: Searched on google. Try Castpodder.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thanks Scott. I tried your suggestions. Here is what I found:

Juice: Not ready for Linux yet. Still in progress.

gtkpod: I installed it through the repository. It looks like a great program to manage my ipod, but as far as I can tell, it does not have the ability to add a podcast RSS feed.

Songbird: Not ready for Linux yet. Still in progress.

Web applications: Still looking at them.

Castpodder: I downloaded this but I guess I am going to have to read up and learn how to install stuff like this.

Again, thanks for your help. I looked into CrossOver Office which has the ability to run iTunes like Wine. Or maybe it is Wine. I am not sure. But they want 40 bucks. Yep, I'm a noob. Lol
  • Crossover is Wine + goodies. It can't to anything that Wine can't already do, it just makes doing it a LOT easier. You can also check out the Sidenet script for Wine, which adds similar goodies and is free.
  • Thanks Rym. I will definately check that out.

Good news for me. I figured out that I was using the wrong program to find applications. I should have been using Synaptic Package Manager. I was able to find alot of things I had been looking for besides a podcatcher.

I found iPodder and it works. Hooray. I can listen to GeekNights again. I am not sure if it can subscribe to a video feed. I'll have to check into that. But at least I have GeekNights again. :)
  • Songbird isn't Mozilla, it just uses Firefox for the web portions of it. I just wish they'd integrate LimeWire Pro/BitTorrent into the interface for the pirates. Arr!
  • Isn't Limewire spyware?
  • edited April 2006
    Not anymore. It's GPL'd too, so they could integrate it into Songbird fairly easily I assume.

Edit: Bearshare's spyware. And it's no better than Limewire.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I'm pretty sure juice is ready for Linux. I had it running on my parent's computer which is Ubuntu.