This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070823 - Being Jaded

2»

Comments

• I dunno, I've spent a lot of money on music , just as an example, both downloaded and from CDs. If my house burned down today and I lost all of that, I'd be pretty darn upset. Maybe it's not important but that is a lot of money lost.
    That's why you backup. Or you can just pirate it again without guilt.
  • edited June 2012
    I dunno, I've spent a lot of money on music , just as an example, both downloaded and from CDs. If my house burned down today and I lost all of that, I'd be pretty darn upset. Maybe it's not important but that is a lot of money lost.
    [Y]ou can just pirate it[.]
    Haven't you had your money's worth of entertainment from the music yet? The music you bought online you should just be able to download at any time in the future anyway, so that's safe in a datacenter anyway.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I dunno, I've spent a lot of money on music , just as an example, both downloaded and from CDs. If my house burned down today and I lost all of that, I'd be pretty darn upset. Maybe it's not important but that is a lot of money lost.
    [Y]ou can just pirate it[.]
    Haven't you had your money's worth of entertainment from the music yet? The music you bought online you should just be able to download at any time in the future anyway, so that's safe in a datacenter anyway.
    I think most of the stuff I got on Amazon is backed up through the cloud player but I'm not sure about my Zune music. Point being that there is probably something worth backing up on your computer.
  • Point being that there is probably something worth backing up on your computer.
    Nope. Everything on my computer I can just get anew from the internets.
  • I do arts, so if my hard drive fails or my computer explodes, it's gone forever unless I back it up. Media someone else made, I can get again. Media I made? Only I can prevent its demise by putting it in an offsite backup.
  • Point being that there is probably something worth backing up on your computer.
    Nope. Everything on my computer I can just get anew from the internets.
    That's because it's backed up there or you're going to pirate it, which is effectively accessing someone else's backup.

• I do arts, so if my hard drive fails or my computer explodes, it's gone forever unless I back it up. Media someone else made, I can get again. Media I made? Only I can prevent its demise by putting it in an offsite backup.
  • Let this Pixar story educate us all:

• Oh man, I love those films.
  • That short explained everything I didn't like about Toy Story 2.
  • That's because it's backed up there or you're going to pirate it, which is effectively accessing someone else's backup.
    My data is not backed up on the internet. It's either only stored on the internet (Gmail for example), or publicly available (pirating and not). The only form of backup I have is my tardiness in transferring files from one hard drive to another.
    I do arts, so if my hard drive fails or my computer explodes, it's gone forever unless I back it up. Media someone else made, I can get again. Media I made? Only I can prevent its demise by putting it in an offsite backup.
    Yup, and I don't do arts (other than this fabulous crap people call posting comments on the internet), so WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~
  • Oh man, I love those films.
  • What's this hype about The Witcher 3?