This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A little Windows / computer help

edited August 2007 in Technology
(sorry in advance for any bad grammar or spelling I'm on my Wii.)

I'm an over all a computer enlightened guy, a lot more than other people. But I need a little help...

For the past few months the stand by feature hasn't been function, As when the dialogue box comes up it asks if you want to Stand by, Shut down, or Restart. So how do I make it work again, I can't find the answer or solution.

And how do I get the file browsing to work like it use too. I set the folder settings for all of them to open in same window and it still doesn't do it even though when I look back the setting it says it is.

plus, how do you reinstall/re.... a CD drive, I unplugged for cleaning, plugged it back properly, and it hasn't worked since. I looked in BIOS but that didn't do it.

I'd ask my dad but he gets angry every time something is wrong with my computer and ask as thought it's my fault.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    I'm assuming that your OS is Windows XP and that your CD-ROM drive is an IDE slotted for the second slot of the Primary IDE and is set to slave. If not, then you should have been more clear and included essential information. Therefore, the information I give is based on that haphazard explanation and my answers reflect such.

1. Check that Advanced Power Management (APM) is enabled.
    2. Try setting it to open new windows, apply, set it back to open in same window, then apply.
    3. By looked in BIOS, do you mean that it didn't show up in BIOS, or it did but Windows doesn't read it? In the first case, check that the wiring is correct and that the jumper setting is correct for where you have it plugged in. In the second, check Device Manager and see if Windows detects it but doesn't have the driver.
    Post edited by Katsu on
  • Also, it sounds silly, but make sure your IDE cable is keyed and inserted properly. Pretty much any "modern" computer peripheral (as in, made since 1990) should have a keyed IDE cable and slotted IDE connector, so that the cable can go in only one way. Make sure it's not possible to insert the cable upside-down - if you CAN flip the cable, make sure that the colored line on the side of the cable is on the same side of the connector where pin 1 is.
  • Ubuntu is the answer my friend.
    KInda, hard to do when I can not get my DVD-Rom to work.
    KInda, hard to do when I can not get my DVD-Rom to work.
    DVD-ROMs are like, $30.