This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBOX 360 scratching discs

edited August 2007 in Video Games
My XBOX 360 has been scratching my discs lately, and all my friends are having the same issue. Has anyone here had this problem?

Comments

• No, but do you have your console upright or on its side? I noticed that when I ran games with the console upright it generated a lot of noise, and so I've run it horizontally ever since as a precaution.
  • I have it lying down on it's side, when I had it upright it cracked my Rainbow Six Vegas disc.
  • Yeah, I'm guessing you have a console with a bad disc drive. You might want to look into having it serviced or replaced before it does more damage.
  • Microsoft said they only cover the red ring of death, and that's all.
  • Then stick your 360 in an oven for half an hour whilst playing Bioshock. That ought to do it ;)
  • You can always just say you got a red ring of death and send it in, I doubt they'll check. They usually just send you a new 360 as a replacement.

I've also gotten random disc read errors about games being scratched, but only ever with NCAA Football 07 and 08 (when it was laying on its side.) I put it vertical and it seems to not do it as much anymore. I've gotten a 1 red light ring error, I think its E-64 which is a disc drive malfunction or something.
  • Elaborating on what Kiey said, tell them you randomly, but with increasing frequency, get the red ring of death. That was the reason for my last replacement (I think I'm on 5) and if they turn it on and it works, I doubt they'll keep trying to reproduce the problem. They'll probably just do whatever it is that they do to fix the red ring of death and send it out to some unlucky person.
  • I just bought a 360 and right out of the box it can't read games, man I'm pissed.