This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Thinking of buying a PSP

edited August 2007 in Video Games
Yes it is me, Dopievoli again with a question. so again I work at a VOIP start-up in Japan and well now I'm scheduled to come back to the US for more college education, so I was thinking of buying a PSP, is that a bad idea? Should I just get it at Costco in America?

Any good suggestions? Any would Help.

Comments

• Depends . . . do you have a DS?
  • Depends, both systems have good games. The controls really separate both, the PSP's control remind of a marriage between PS game pad and a game boy and the DS features a Touch pad with classical GBA buttons.

I have a PSP since it's hardware is really good for a handheld and that there's a big homebrew community. Most systems (PlayStation (runs perfect) downwards; N64 is being worked on). You can check out pspupdates.qj.net for most programs and hey have a good PSP Forum too.

If you want a fun device, I'd go for the DS, PSP games a often made for longer gaming sessions but therefore it has a sleep mode. BTW depending on the PSP firmware you don't even need any hardware to mod it. Also PSP homebrew is easy to use with the latest custom firmware (I have the latest M33 3.52), just copying the Eboot.pbp (the PSP's exe/app format) into a folder and start it from the Game > Memory Stick Menu.

DS has many formats and standards for homebrew and I can't really explain them because I don' have one and never came around buying one with the M3 simply.

I'd just check out qj for homebrew and a gaming site like ign.com for the games. So both handhelds have the advantages and disadvantages.
  • It's getting to the point where there are a ton of games out for the PSP. I still think one should buy a DS first, then buy a PSP. Wait, however, until the new PSP units come out in September before buying one.
  • I own both systems and I've got to say that, while there may occasionally be a title on the PSP that is a MUST have, my DS usually winds up being the system that makes its way into my messanger bag. My biggest gripe with the PSP is, perhaps, that it isn't all that portable at all. Other than comparing it to a home console it's pretty large. Hopefully this will change when the new "slim" model arrives.
  • I think what it comes down to with the PSP is if you want a great portable media player, which you can also occasionally play games on. Especially if you have/plan to have a PS3 since you will be able to stream media from the PS3 (which can stream from your PC to itself) to the PSP anywhere (as long as both have an internet connection.)
  • I have a PSP. Its good if you also want an Ipod and handheld gaming. If you just want handheld gaming go for DS. I mostly use my PSP for is extra capabilities rather than the reason it was made. I'd go for the DS.

Man....I wish I had a DS. ):
  • I think what it comes down to with the PSP is if you want a great portable media player, which you can also occasionally play games on.
    The DS has perfectly decent media playing capabilities. You have to buy additional cards for Internet, MP3, and video but they're almost on par with the PSP (screen resolution isn't as good on the DS as PSP) and way better games.
  • ...You have to buy additional cards for Internet, MP3, and video...
    Whoa, where do I find these video and Mp3 cards?!
  • I got a cheap one from Best Buy that takes micro-SD cards so you can upgrade as much as you want (up to 2 gig per card). They have all kinds tough. Some have 4gb packs that plug into the GBA slot. Look around. They're out there.
  • I've only found the Web Browsers at Target, but other than that I haven't found anything like Video or Mp3...

I could watch SBmails on my DS!
  • You buy a flash drive. You could put Windows CE on it if you wanted, along with audio, IM clients, and a whole bunch more tomfoolery.
  • Wait, we still talking DS?
  • edited August 2007
    Eh, get a PSP if you don't want to buy for extra stuff and for homebrew.

The PSP is portable, the first PSP is not much bigger than the first DS. Also the little more you have to carry brings you much better hardware (without the touchscreen).

edit: removed wrong comment
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • The PSP may not be much bigger than the old DS, but take into account all those UMDs . . .

Wait, more higher-rated games? Care to elaborate?
  • Pssh, does the PSP have the Pokemans? I think not!
  • All systems have their data mediums and I mostly play one game at a time.

Well, based on possibly by now outdated list the PSP featured more games with a top ratings (I don't know where I found it and have no faith in inding it again; right now the DS has more 9+ games than the PSP, acording to ign, so plz forget my comment)

And yes, all the GB/GBC ones, the GBA ones and the games for the N64 (but I have no idea how well they run)

But without homebrew I'd now go for a IPod and a DS.
  • That's true. If you're not going to attempt to use homebrew on a PSP, you're better off just getting a DS. But, with homebrew, PSP blows the DS out of the water.

If handhelds were boats.
  • I'm not sure what homebrew gets you other than copying games and I'm not interested in that. With the latest firmware upgrade, Sony gives you an internet radio player. I know it's stupid, but I've been using that thing like crazy. When it get Skype, I'll probably use it as a phone quite a bit. The thing definitely has way more value as a non-gaming system than a gaming system.
  • I am thinking of getting a PSP because it finally has some really good games, I'm just worried that if I get one and play through all of those good games, more won't come out. (It took around three years for the system to start getting really good games...)
  • I think that a lot of the stuff you are seeing Sony do to the PSP now, all the addition features and whatnot, is not necessarily to make the PSP a better handheld, but rather is a sort of beta test for the next PSP.
  • I The thing definitely has way more value as a non-gaming system than a gaming system.
    It's sadly true. I use mine for more non gaming aspects than anything.
  • I recently have been thinking about getting a PSP when I can afford it. My concern, though, is if this is a good time to buy one. I'm worried I might buy it,only for them to release a new model.
  • Don't get a PSP.
  • It's been slipped that there is a PSP2 on the way, in case that impacts your decision. But if there are games you want to play that are only on the PSP, now is probably as good a time as ever.
  • I recently have been thinking about getting a PSP when I can afford it. My concern, though, is if this is a good time to buy one. I'm worried I might buy it,only for them to release a new model.
    Just buy a used psp 2000 for like 50-80 bucks. As far as I know the 3000's and go's don't really work with the custom firmware.
  • Yeah, the PSP scene is really awesome right now. I still have a ton of games that I need to play.
  • Yeah and you can get like all of them for free...but that would be illegal and I would never condone such an act
  • I jailbroke my psp 2000 in the good old days of pandora's battery and the magic memory stick. How does it work these days?
  • I jailbroke my psp 2000 in the good old days of pandora's battery and the magic memory stick. How does it work these days?
    These only the normal memory card is needed no need for magic memory sticks or batteries. It's all software magic now.
  • Technically, the Magic memory stick is still needed, but now it makes the battery go into service mode through software cracking, not hardware cracking like in the old days. I had to cut the tooth of my old battery to jailbrake my PSP, lucky bastards.