This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A podcast channel? Imagine that!

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
If you listened to thursday's geeknights. Did anyone else notice that I am not the only one that has suggested that the geeknights podcast get syndicated on a live channel? I found it funny that the guys basically tippie-toed up to the point of saying that they need a live streaming broadcast, and then Rym smote it to pieces in a handful of words.

Whatever, you'll realize the truth in time. There are more pressing issues. WHAT IF 6th street radio wanted to be this mythical podcast channel? It would be simple to create an automated process on the radio machine to pull the latest submission from a handful of good podcasts and play them at specific times of the day. There would be a small lag because the mp3's would have to be converted to open formats, but that's just digital heavy lifting. Leave that to the machines.

That's what I think a podcast channel is.

Comments

• Time-dependant content for a show like this is, to be blunt, stupid and useless.
  • I like the idea of a TWiT-like network you guys brought up in Thursday's show. Are any of the other Front Row Crew members planning a podcast?
  • Why would I force myself to listen to a show at my computer at a certain time of day if I could listen to it anywhere at anytime?
  • Are we really going to start this shit again?
    Seriously. For most things, time-dependent media is stupid in my opinion. It's not in davek's opinion.
    Can we please just let this die, now?
  • Whatever, you'll realize the truth in time.
    Tell you what, how 'bout you PROVE the supposed "superiority" of non-time shifted media yourself? Well? [sarcasm]If it's SO great, then I'm sure you could easily outdo an archaic time-shifted podcast like Geeknights.[/sarcasm] Until you can do so, may I humbly suggest that you shut up?
    It would be simple to create an automated process on the radio machine to pull the latest submission from a handful of good podcasts and play them at specific times of the day. There would be a small lag because the mp3's would have to be converted to open formats, but that's just digital heavy lifting. Leave that to the machines.
    That is quite possibly one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.
  • It would be simple to create an automated process on the radio machine to pull the latest submission from a handful of good podcasts and play them at specific times of the day. There would be a small lag because the mp3's would have to be converted to open formats, but that's just digital heavy lifting. Leave that to the machines.
    Wait, what?! That's absolutely pointless! If they follow that process, it would eliminate the only advantage that live streaming radio has: listener participation. Did you even think this through? How is that better than normal time-shifted podcasting?
  • I finally had a chance to listen to the Thursday show. In asking about a GN Podcasting Network, I had only what Leo Laporte does in mind. I understand perfectly R&S's perspective.

I also agree with them that streaming is a step backward. When you think about it, everything is time shifted, there is no such thing as live. It takes time from the moment an image or a sound is recorded to transmit that to your eyes and/or ears and then more time for the mush in your head to analyze and digest the perception. It's just a question as to how soon you want the information. iPods and TiVos let you take more control over that process.