This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Diving into Linux for the first time

edited August 2007 in Technology
I've decided to build a Linux machine with a computer that my dad brought home. I put in a 60 gig hard drive, and it's set up and ready to go on the hardware level; and I've decided to start with Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu because of the getting into Linux episode way back when. Any advice or whatever to start out?

Comments

• I would advise you to read through http://ubuntu1501.blogspot.com/. It's a guide for putting Ubuntu on a Dell Laptop but most tips are also very useful for desktop users. I would also install WINE for all your window games. If you have any questions as to what to do if you have problems in WINE, just ask!
  • Burn the CD and boot it. From there, many things will become very obvious.
  • I have the CD but I don't know why my PC won't boot to the disk... I'm going to put in a different CD drive and see if that helps. anyhow.... Thanks for your input people
  • I have the CD but I don't know why my PC won't boot to the disk... I'm going to put in a different CD drive and see if that helps. anyhow.... Thanks for your input people
    Is the CD-ROM set to be the first boot device?
  • edited August 2007
    Make sure you created the CD as an 'image'. If you burned it as normal data, it will not work.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • I burned the Ubuntu64 CD last night. My desktop failed to boot due to an X-Server conflict, have not tried it on the laptop yet.
  • I did set it as the fist boot device but I simply burned the files to the disk without making it an image file
  • It's amazing how few people realize how to use ISO files.
  • it was a simple mistake of opening the file and not saving it
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah, well, I only learned what an ISO was and how to use them because I'm poor and rip games.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited September 2007
    Nero burns ISOs withou any problem and Macs handle image file natively, so I don't see any reason for people to actually have problms with ISOs. At least nobody with an internet connection should have a problem :/
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • It's amazing how few people realize how to use ISO files.
    I told someone to open their C:\ drive in windows the other day and they didn't know what I meant. You shouldn't be that amazed. HA!
  • Nero burns ISOs withou any problem and Macs handle image file natively, so I don't see any reason for people to actually have problms with ISOs. At least nobody with an internet connection should have a problem :/
    Most people using Windows don't have Nero. Even if they do have Nero, they don't know to click on the "burn image" item.
  • Nero burns ISOs withou any problem and Macs handle image file natively, so I don't see any reason for people to actually have problms with ISOs. At least nobody with an internet connection should have a problem :/
    Most people using Windows don't have Nero. Even if they do have Nero, they don't know to click on the "burn image" item.
    Most people don't need to burn images or use the build in burning function from the explorer.
    Nearly all persons I know use Nero and it often comes as OEM Software (as far as I can tell).
  • Nearly all persons I know use Nero and it often comes as OEM Software (as far as I can tell).
    Nero came as OEM software with my DVD-burner, when I was building my own PC. Never installed it. I think it's somewhere rotting slowly. *shrug*
  • Get the program 'burncdcc' or something around that name. It's sole purpose is to burn ISO images. Worked great for me when I burnt my Ubuntu CD in Windows.
  • I use ImgBurn. It's free and easy to use.
  • Are you guys sure these free burning apps aren't spyware? Are you sure?
  • Are you guys sure these free burning apps aren't spyware? Are yousure?
    I use ImgBurn. If I burn something. And no, I'm not sure if it contains spyware or not. And I do not care too much about that. Even less now that I'm starting to use Ubuntu more and more.
  • Didn't the spyware start to fade away form most freeware in the last years? For me there never was any problem with spyware on freeware(as far as spybot search and destroy goes) but internet started for me 2 years ago so I may have missed the big spyware wave :/
  • Didn't the spyware start to fade away form most freeware in the last years? For me there never was any problem with spyware on freeware(as far as spybot search and destroy goes) but internet started for me 2 years ago so I may have missed the big spyware wave :/
    It's not a huge disastrous wave like it used to be, but that's just because it's better at hiding.
  • Are you guys sure these free burning apps aren't spyware? Are yousure?
    Yes. ImgBurn is made by the same person that made DVD Decrypter, which, as far as I know, didn't have any spyware either.
    It's not a huge disastrous wave like it used to be, but that's just because it's better at hiding.
    Or Open Source and freeware is getting more and more important and when there is a demand one can be quite sure that there will be an according product soon enouth.