This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Partition trouble

edited August 2007 in Technology
I run windows vista on my Acer aspire 9410. It came with 2 partions (3 if you count the hidden restoration partition) and I thought, 'hmmm... I don't use the 2nd one so why not join the two. So I did.
My computer wouldn't boot anymore so I tried the restoration thing but it gives me an error message "FAIL to get partition 1 drive letter"
What do I do now?
(P.s. I'm writing this to you using the Ubuntu live CD I had laying around)
(P.p.s. I don't like telling my parents if I can fix this myself because they'd just get mad)

Comments

• Obviously there were two partitions for a reason. If you want to keep running Vista, I suggest you just reinstall it. Here is the #1 rule of making your computer work. There are a large number of computer problems out there simply because people do not follow this simple rule.

If it isn't broken, dont' fix it!
  • If it isn't broken, dont' fix it!As a corollary to that:
    If you don't know exactly what a buttun/widget/option does, don't press/switch/enable it.  It will always have more consequences than you intend or anticipate.
  • I had the same problem. For me it turned out that for some reason the active partition had been changed to the hidden restoration partition. This meant that the computer was trying to boot from a partition that had no GUI or bootsector. All I had to do was change it back to the Partition 1 / C: and problem was solved.
  • If it isn't broken, dont' fix it!
    Unless you are experimenting.
  • If it isn't broken, dont' fix it!
    ...or you're in a virtual machine. I've broken more virtual machines than I care to count.
  • If it isn't broken, don't fix it!
    As a corollary to that:

If you don't know exactly what a button/widget/option does, don't press/switch/enable it.  It will always have more consequences than you intend or anticipate.

A poster shall be made and subsequently framed with these rules.
  • edited November 2008
    If it isn't broken, dont' fix it!
    That goes more with this, IMO:
    If you don't know exactly what a buttun/widget/option does, don't press/switch/enable it.
    Rarely will I ever dick around with something like partitions unless I know what I'm doing, but I'll almost always toy around with options and settings and stuff like that. More often than not, you can just change settings back to default if you happen to really fuck something up.

P.S. way to spell button wrong, Rym.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Ever hear of sandboxes? If you want to experiment, play in the sandbox. When you are playing for real, it's not the right time to experiment.
  • I second that virtual machine suggestion, and I recommend VirtualBox. That's what I use at work, and it seems to work pretty well. Also, user friendly, as opposed to some software we know.

As for fixing the problem at hand, I suggest using gparted from an ubuntu livecd (or any kind of livecd that has it). You might want to think about reinstalling your os. Sorry.
  • I second that virtual machine suggestion, and I recommendVirtualBox. That's what I use at work, and it seems to work pretty well. Also, user friendly, as opposed tosome software we know.
    I use the free VMWare Player for all of my virtual machining, and it's just fine.
  • I second that virtual machine suggestion, and I recommendVirtualBox. That's what I use at work, and it seems to work pretty well. Also, user friendly, as opposed tosome software we know.
    I use the free VMWare Player for all of my virtual machining, and it's just fine.
    If you're using one of the pre-made vm's. Making vm's is a pain though with the free tools, but easy with virtualbox.
  • If you're using one of the pre-made vm's. Making vm's is a pain though with the free tools, but easy with virtualbox.
    I never have a problem making the VM. You use one command to create a blank image file. You copy and paste a text file. You install the OS as normal, then you edit the text file one more time. The end.
  • Or you can torrent them....