This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Two New Computers

edited August 2007 in Technology
I purchased two new computers today. A desktop for my wife and a laptop for me. Both were sold at good prices though I managed to score an expired discount on the desktop.

Both have XP Home Premium and the desktop has 2GB RAM while the laptop only has 1GB. The real funny thing is that the desktop (Acer) came with a nice and clean install of Vista while the laptop (Compaq) came with a boatload of bloatware!

I used the file transfer wizard on my wife's machine but it did not transfer everything (as I set it to) so I am now reloading some programs.

The desktop has a real nice 19" LCD running at 1440x900. while the laptop is running at 1280xsomething...

Since I purchased AMD 64 cpus any tips on setting up a dual boot with Ubuntu64?

Comments

• Since I purchased AMD 64 cpus any tips on setting up a dual boot with Ubuntu64?
    You dual boot it the same way as any other Ubuntu. However, don't be surprised if some things don't work quite the same as the 32 bit Ubuntu. There are simply some programs that have not been written in a way that allows them to run properly in 64 bit. If it causes you a big problem, you can run 32 bit Ubuntu on a 64 bit processor, it will work just fine.
  • So much for the built-in transfer wizard. It transfered some files but not everything (like I told it). Now I have to plug the old computers back in and do a bunch of exporting/importing for things like firefox bookmarks, email account information, etc. Yet some of the more annoying things did come over with the transfer.

I have to say that Vista does "look" good, I just can't find anything!