This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Have computers really helped us?

edited August 2007 in Technology
Do people think that computer technology has really been a huge event for mankind? On a micro scale, computers help many people. But on a macro scale, are they doing anything that has really had a profound change on our society? After all, the stock market, etc. existed just fine before the advent of computers. Even if they make many things more convenient, the hassle of running and maintaining the things detracts from their overall efficiency.
There are two areas that I see where they have made a profound change:
1) Number crunching allowing us to come up with new medicines, etc.
2) Instant and broad communication.

But overall, have they really made that big a difference? I submit that compared to things like the automobile or the birth control pill, the impact of computers is much less significant.

Comments

• I disagree. I think you are greatly underestimating the "instant and broad communication." Before the internet, the only way you could really talk to people across the world, short of going there or calling (but how would you know who you were calling in the first place), was through some pen pal service, if you were lucky enough to have one at your school. Today, you just point your browser to a site or log into an online game and you're sure to come across people from all over the world. Look at how easy it is now to put yourself out there and advertise and express yourself on social network sites. All the vast resources we have compiled in one easy place wouldn't be there, we'd still be frantically flipping through our dictionaries and encyclopedias. There are so many questions that are trivial to ask; I look almost everything up on Wikipedia, IMDB, Google, etc., before I'd even think to ask my peers or teachers. Think of all of the advances in medicine and technologies that wouldn't be possible without computers. Would we really have been able to go to the moon in a mechanical rocket?
  • I absolutely agree that communication as facilitated by computers and the internet is a huge societal advancement. It's the other stuff that computers do that I was questioning.

In particular, I'm thinking of a Harvard study done a few years ago that found that computers, on the whole, had failed to increase business productivity.

As for landing on the moon... who cares? It was cool, but how did that affect the life of the average human?

• In particular, I'm thinking of a Harvard study done a few years ago that found that computers, on the whole, had failed to increase business productivity.
    This is largely because businesses and people fail to deploy them in a way that increases productivity. Like any tool, a computer can only help in proportion to the user. A good carpenter with a small saw and a hammer can probably do more work than I can do with an entire state of the art wood-shop. It is not a failure of technology, but a failure of people.
  • It is not a failure of technology, but a failure of people.
    This may be part of the human condition.

Let's take a look at the printing press (a common benchmark for "modern civilization"). Did Gutenberg's generation really benefit the most from it? They needed to learn not only to use the tool itself, but learn to read. It really was subsequent generations, the ones that were afforded the opportunity access to books in childhood, that benefited most from the printing press.

With the current rate at which technology changes, perhaps 'the computer' is not as an extreme example as Gutenberg's printing press, but there may be a limit to the amount of learning and adaptation we, as a society, can take in one generation. The computer may be too new for the majority of us to understand the efficiencies we can gain from it. Another generation or two from now this will be drastically different. Imagine a world where virtually every person was born with a computer in their house; when technology literacy equals our current world rates for reading literacy. How then will we view the computer? I would wager that the efficiencies experienced in business will only increase as a more educated populace reaches working age.

I would also note that if technology allows people to do what used to take 8 hrs of work in 4-6hrs, it will afford that person much more time to use technology for non-work related tasks such as podcasts and forums. Depending on the measures used in the study, they may not have accounted for increased slacking off.
  • Computers are the best shot at Singularity. Provided the A.I. doesn't go rampant, then we're set for the rest of eternity.

By the way, how do I put a link in a post but give it a different nametag instead of blindly copying the URL?
  • Without computers, we would not have achieved space flight in any reasonable span of time, and the computers we used for that were slower than my TI-85.
    Without computers, we wouldn't have developed technology for stealth aircraft.  The computation required to design them was staggering, and I doubt that humans could have done it in any reasonable span of time.
    Without computers, I doubt the telephone and power systems could have scaled and continue to scale to meet the demands of increased population.
    Without computers, most advanced medical techniquies and devices could simply not exist.

The deal with computers is that they can make billions upon billions of calculations in the time it takes a human to write a single numeral.  It allows us to brute-force answers to computationally intensive problems that otherwise would be entirely unsolvable, and furthermore to do so very quickly.  Computers free humans from those trillians and trillians of trivial calculations, so that we can instead focus on the fruits of said effort.  Most people are just unable or unwilling to take true advantage of this.  I expect that to change in the next two generations.
  • Computers also make people stupid/ignorant. Have you ever seen the documentation on some old generators from before 1900? You had to have a physics degree to install those things!

Check out some of the writings of Jay Leno in Popular Mechanics because he encounters a fair amount of that stuff.

Because of computers many people find themselves doing jobs that they would not be qualified to do if they did not have a computer with them.

As for Telco... I will not be surprised if 15 years from now POTS is dead and buried.
  • Computers also make people stupid/ignorant. Have you ever seen the documentation on some old generators from before 1900? You had to have a physics degree to install those things!

Check out some of the writings of Jay Leno in Popular Mechanics because he encounters a fair amount of that stuff.

Because of computers many people find themselves doing jobs that they would not be qualified to do if they did not have a computer with them.
    You have this backwards. Computers have lowered the barrier to entry for many other endeavors: instead of the few with enough time and money to gain access to advanced academic/technical knowledge or mechanical infrastructure, anyone with some basic computer literacy can quickly learn enough to get electric power from a generator, pursue further self-education, or publish their opinions and creative works.

Yes, people are doing things with computers that they would not be qualified without computers. The most talented surgeon in the world would not be qualified to perform open-heart surgery without centuries of medical knowledge and a support staff at his back. That's the way of technology: it enables people to surpass old boundaries.
    Computers don't make people stupid. What it does is allow people to spend their mental energies focused on different things. A person can only remember so much information. A person can only learn so many things. Even the smartest people have a non-infinite capacity for learning. This is why back in the olden days, when there wasn't so much information, you could get a degree in every single science. Nowadays you have to study something so incredibly specific because there is more to know than any person can handle.

Computers have been used to release us from the need to fill our heads with knowledge we do not need on a regular basis. Why memorize physics formulae, when I can look them up on the computer? Why spend ten minutes doing math on paper when the calculator can do it instantly? A person would still need to have an understanding of physics and the math involved to actually calculate anything useful or meaningful. They just won't need to waste mental energy on the process of calculation or memorization. This allows people to spend more time thinking about the problem at hand rather than being sidetracked by tangential menial labor.

Computers don't make people stupid. They just change the world in such a way that different knowledge sets become more important than others. We're not learning less, we're learning something different.
  • Computers make people stupid by making them dependant on the computer to get their work done. Computers are a great tool but they should not be a substitute for Intelligence. I point specifically to those people who whip out a calculator to find out what 25% of 100 is.
  • Computers make people stupid by making them dependent on the computer to get their work done. Computers are a great tool but they should not be a substitute for Intelligence. I point specifically to those people who whip out a calculator to find out what 25% of 100 is.
    You're assuming that without the calculator existing that person would somehow be smarter. This is a pretty bold assumption. In the olden times, this type of person would probably have been equally unintelligent, and equally dependent on technology. They would have had to use pencil and paper and ten minutes of time to figure it out instead of using a calculator. Oh no! They are dependent on pencil and paper! Pencil and paper make people stupid, unlike us smart people who can do it with fingers and toes. Man, those slide rules are making people stupid too.

Advancing technology, or dependence on technology, does not make people less intelligent. It's just the rising tide of technology is raising all the boats. Stupid people can use a hand-held calculator to figure out how much money they are saving at the grocery store. Brain surgeons can use a 3D MRI and a robot to perform an otherwise impossible surgery. How is the brain surgeon who can't do the surgery without the computer any different than the person who can't do math without a calculator? They aren't different at all. They are both dependent on external technology to accomplish tasks above and beyond their personal ability.

I think you are just old and jealous that you had to do hard work to accomplish things which people now accomplish with great ease. If you are really smarter than they are, then you have nothing to worry about because you will be able to take more advantage of the technology than they do, and your boat will rise higher. Technology is awesome that way.
  • If you are really smarter than they are, then you have nothing to worry about because you will be able to take more advantage of the technology than they do, and your boat will rise higher.
    Not to nitpick but I would argue that these are different kinds of intelligence. Unfortunately, experience and knowledge in one field does not necessarily transfer to skills and knowledge in another. We can easily leave otherwise intelligent "old and jealous" people behind because we are technology literate. I really think this is one reason old people are always so bitter (no matter the generation).

Back in my day . . .
  • Grr, damn young whipersnappers!

My point is that you need a solid base of studies without the benefit of technology so that when the zombie apocalypse comes you will be able to count the bullets on the floor while still firing at the zombie in the window.
  • My point is that you need a solid base of studies without the benefit of technology so that when the zombie apocalypse comes . . .
    The man has a point.
  • Grr, damn young whipersnappers!

My point is that you need a solid base of studies without the benefit of technology so that when the zombie apocalypse comes you will be able to count the bullets on the floor while still firing at the zombie in the window.
    When the zombie apocalypse comes, being able to do math is going to be a lot less important than being able to swing an axe really hard. It's basically the dark ages times a million.
  • Math is still important for calculating your damage bonuses and keeping track of your kills.