This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Full Metal Alchemist (maybe spoilers)

edited August 2007 in Anime
So I just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist and would be interested in what you guys thought of the show. I'm talking about the 51 episode anime and the movie.

Comments

• It was above average at best. After Hughes died and the story derailed from the manga, it just wasn't as good. The movie was decent. There were some awesome moments, but it was mostly just an attempt to wrap up a poorly contrived and far-fetched plot about Nazis.
  • edited September 2007

I preffer prefer the manga, the anime it might have a good idead but it would have being more epic. I will say that in less than 10 years it will be remaked remade with some OAV and it will follow the manga maybe. Just like EVA, it is over rated : P

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Those damn Nazis just get into everything, don't they? A majority of the story takes place in a parallel world where people can not only use alchemy but do so in an essentially magical way. If you had told me, before watching the last episode or the movie, that the actual, literal Nazis would try to start some shit before everything was over, I would have thought you quite mad.
  • I watched it all... there's 51 episodes? Jesus christ. I never thought of it.
    I liked it all around, but I agree with Sail. I missed Hughs, and it REALLY DRAGGED ON towards the end, but I still really enjoyed it.... I didn't like the movie at all, it was super convoluted and stupd and I prefered the series ending. I burst in to tears when I saw Alphonse as a child again and the movie killed that magic for me.

It gets a lot of hate *GERALD!!!* because of Ed's annoying antics, but the characters are ALL so lovable.
  • I'm with you MitchyD although I thought both endings were unsatisfying.
  • I really like the series, I thought it was really well done, especially considering the ending was written for the anime and wasn't the "real" ending.

My two favorite episodes are the ones that focus for the most part on Mustang's team, I think its 13 and 37. Those episodes are hilarious, especially 37.
  • They managed to do "creepy" pretty well in a lot of places. Parts of it were funny. I'm not sure the whole idea of "equivalent trade" in alchemy really makes sense. Pretty average on the balance.
  • The first season of the anime was awesome, the second half was crap. It was a better ending than I expected, though. When the anime creators make an ending, it is usually a huge let down. The ending to FMA was bad, but it could have been much worse. The manga was so much better.
  • the whole idea of "equivalent trade" in alchemy really makes sense

I guess the show's message didn't really get through to you :) It doesn't always work like that, it's not totally practical. At all.

When are the Geeknights going to do a show on this?
  • I guess the show's message didn't really get through to you :) It doesn't always work like that, it's not totally practical. At all.
    Yeah, they did admit that eventually. But I was being bothered about it from episode 2 or so so it had an impact on my enjoyment of most of the series.
  • I was bothered by how strictly they went by that rule - I always found it to be retarded and a flawed way of thinking. Thank god they acknowledged it.
  • I think it is one of the better of the more recent main stream Anime. I categorized it as a darker shonen show that doesn''t go on for hundreds of episodes.
  • Pulling this thread back up, I recently caught up to what Funimation was streaming. It's pretty good, so far. It has that feel that Emily sometimes mentions that they used the manga as a storyboard. There were a few changes in the beginning, but from Scar on, it's more or less the manga, but animated. It feels a lot less emo than the first anime.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought the manga was a lot creepier, but in a different way. More weird monsters. Also, Wrath from the first show = non-existant. I miss him, and kind of hoped that [spoilers] he would sacrifice himself to heal the sensei's body, since he can merge with things. The fuhrer takes his place as Wrath and I don't think I've seen pride yet.[Spoiler]
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Iprefferpreferthe manga, the anime it might have a good ideadbut it would have being more epic. I will say that in less than 10 years it will beremakedremade with some OAV and it will follow the manga maybe. Just like EVA, it is over rated : P

You sir have made a correct prediction! Except it was 2 years, not 10 (then again, you just said less than 10). Good call man!
  • So, this is on Netflix instant now, and I finally watched the series. I had previously seen up to episode 16. In college. 7 years ago. Yeah, it took me that long.

All I can say is holy crap-balls. The rest of the series is SO DIFFERENT from the bit I had seen. I enjoyed the story, though I found certain aspects a bit predictable. I definitely like that it got more serious and dark than the beginning, because I was starting to suffer from Trigun syndrome. When the first half of a series is so silly, disjointed, and episodic, it's difficult for me to get invested in the series. That's probably why it took so long to watch.
  • Does Netflix have Brotherhood or the original series? Brotherhood is overall more serious, closer to the manga, and definitely better.
  • Does Netflix have Brotherhood or the original series? Brotherhood is overall more serious, closer to the manga, and definitely better.
    Was Brotherhood even out 7 years ago? The original series. I think Hulu has Brotherhood... or did.
  • I actually really like FMA Brotherhood a lot, although I don't have a reference at all because I haven't seen any of the original series or read the manga.