This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcasting Apps.

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Would you guys happen to know if there is a good podcasting software for XP? So easy, a brain-dead no limbed monkey could do it?

To explain, my Leadership 101 class at school wants to make a podcast (which will suck, but oh well). They want software (preferably free) that will record them and be really easy to edit what they already have. I have no idea, so I need some help from you guys.

Also, would you happen to know of any (again, preferably free) software for OS X that will let me distribute my podcast easily

Again, to explain, a friend and I made a little podcast episode about acceptance because we wanted to do something fun for our English project. So, a friend came over to my house and we recorded stuff using GarageBand (which was pretty easy editing-wise, one you get used to it), and I out it on my Mp3 player and played it for the class. Well, now all my friends want it, and I'd like to make more shows, but I don't know where to put the stuff up. I put the first episode on the libsyn sandbox thingy, and I really like that, but I heard talk of software that'll put your stuff up on iTunes, and now I want that.

So, any ideas/help?

Comments

• "Paaching!" Jackpot
    Does anyone know of any way to record podcasts with people over a distance (via VOIP) on linux. I really wanted to do a linux podcast but there was no way to get anything to record.
    Is Scrym going to release that one click rezound filter with instructions by any chance?
  • I use Audacity. To get on iTunes, pay for your Libsyn account, post your show and submit it to iTunes. There's a great tutorial that all podcasters need to watch:

http://revision3.com/systm/podcasting/
  • Gotta love Systm. I second the recommendation of Audacity; it's free, open source, multi-platform, and there's a plethora of tutorials available.
  • edited September 2007
    A one-click solution for free and open spudcasting? As far as this hacker knows, nothing exists. As "the pair" have said on many occasions, you need three things:

1. something that will record onto a computer (microphone + audacity)

2. someplace internet accessable to store the files (linsyn, in geeknights speak, or your linux box)

3. something to burn the feed (I use Google's blogger.com, which then goes to feedburner.com, and then to iTunes)

If anyone knows a simpler solution, PLEASE correct me.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • A one-click solution for free and open spudcasting? As far as this hacker knows, nothing exists. As "the pair" have said on many occasions, you need three things:

1. something that will record onto a computer (microphone + audacity)
    2. someplace internet accessable to store the files (linsyn, in geeknights speak, or your linux box)
    3. something to burn the feed (I use Google's blogger.com, which then goes to feedburner.com, and then to iTunes)

if anyone knows a simpler solution, PLEASE correct me.
    Libsyn provides both 2 and 3. We just choose to do 3 on our own because we want more control and redundancy than libsyn offers.
  • So easy, a brain-dead no limbed monkey could do it?That's the biggest myth of podcasting.  They make it seem as though it can be done easily without previous knowledge of audio.  The sad truth is that, without extensive effort and skill, it will sound like 90% of podcasts out there: terrible.
    There's no easy solution, and no magic bullet. 
    I heard talk of software that'll put your stuff up on iTunes, and now I want that.There's no such thing as "putting your stuff up on iTunes."  You host your files somewhere, and iTunes just reads your RSS feed.
  • Still nothing about linux VOIP recording, oh well.
  • So easy, a brain-dead no limbed monkey could do it?
    That's the biggest myth of podcasting.  They make it seem as though it can be done easily without previous knowledge of audio.  The sad truth is that, without extensive effort and skill, it will sound like 90% of podcasts out there: terrible.

There's no easy solution, and no magic bullet.

Well, that sucks just a bit. I don't know how well my teachers will handle recording/editing, so we'll see how it goes...
    I heard talk of software that'll put your stuff up on iTunes, and now I want that.
    There's no such thing as "putting your stuff up on iTunes."  You host your files somewhere, and iTunes just reads your RSS feed.

Well, sounds like libsyn is for me, then. Hopefully as the months go on my podcast won't suck balls as much. Then, hopefully, we won't sound like kids doing a stupid Dave and Joel rip-off.
  • Still nothing about linux VOIP recording, oh well.
    Skype works fine in Linux: you just have to know enough about audio to capture the stream and record it.  Gizmo works perfectly well in Linux as well, and additionally allows you to record.
  • Thanks for reminding me about Gizmo but this is linux so my microphone will flat out not work which I just remembered when I tried making a test call. Thanks anyway.
  • this is linux so my microphone will flat out not work
    Your microphone should work just fine, unless you have an unsupported soundcard.
  • You can get back to me again Omnutia once you got it working. ;)
  • OK, I have another podcasting question to ask.

My teacher doesn't want to spend the $5 a month for LibSyn, so she was wondering if there is anything free we can use to put up our podcasts.

Sorry if that isn't enough information, but I'm a podcasting n00b.

• My teacher doesn't want to spend the $5 a month for LibSyn, so she was wondering if there is anything free we can use to put up our podcasts.
    There probably is, but there is no way to get unlimited bandwidth or sufficient storage space for free. Anything free will suck for one reason or another.

• My teacher doesn't want to spend the $5 a month for LibSyn, so she was wondering if there is anything free we can use to put up our podcasts.
    There probably is, but there is no way to get unlimited bandwidth or sufficient storage space for free. Anything free will suck for one reason or another.
    I'm surprised I'm willing to put up $10 a month for my stupid podcast, but she won't put up 5 for a school one...

Anyways, I'll tell her that LibSyn's got the good features for a relatively cheap price.
  • I'm surprised I'm willing to put up $10 a month for my stupid podcast, but she won't put up 5 for a school one...

Anyways, I'll tell her that LibSyn's got the good features for a relatively cheap price.
    Ask her if you can pay for it for the first few months while she's trying it out.
  • edited September 2007
    There is something free called Our Media where you can host your files for download.

The plus: ITS FREEEEEEE! FREE STORAGE! FREE BANDWIDTH!

The minus: It doesn't update right away. If your podcast HAS to be up by a certain time then you'll have to record it and then upload it to Our Media a few hours before you post your podcast. Sometimes It can take a few minutes to a few hours. Then there's the slight possibilty that something could go wrong if it hasn't shown up after 24hrs. Plus Our medi doesn't give you the abilty to see what files are being downloaded or its stats. But its free and good if you are too cheap for libsyn.

http://ourmedia.org/
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm surprised I'm willing to put up $10 a month for my stupid podcast, but she won't put up 5 for a school one...

Ask her if you can pay for it for the first few months while she's trying it out.
    Ehhh... no. My mind set is, if it's my money, my podcast. That, and I don't trust her much.

There is something free called Our Media where you can host your files for download.

The plus: ITS FREEEEEEE! FREE STORAGE! FREE BANDWIDTH!

The minus: It doesn't update right away. If your podcast HAS to be up by a certain time then you'll have to record it and then upload it to Our Media a few hours before you post your podcast. Sometimes It can take a few minutes to a few hours. Then there's the slight possibilty that something could go wrong if it hasn't shown up after 24hrs. Plus Our medi doesn't give you the abilty to see what files are being downloaded or its stats. But its free and good if you are too cheap for libsyn.

http://ourmedia.org/
    That sounds awesome!

Oh, I also heard talk about teachers writing their own RSS Feeds... any thoughts?

• Oh, I also heard talk about teachers writing their own RSS Feeds... any thoughts?
    How many times do I have to say this? If you are writing your RSS feed, you are doing it wrong! A web application should automatically generate your RSS feed for you, you should never have to look at a single bit of XML.
  • Podomatic has a free service but you're limited to 500 MB storage and low bandwith (forget the exact number).

• Oh, I also heard talk about teachers writing their own RSS Feeds... any thoughts?
    How many times do I have to say this? If you are writing your RSS feed, you are doing it wrong! A web application should automatically generate your RSS feed for you, you should never have to look at a single bit of XML.
    I've been telling them that! But apparently, they want us (me and 2 other guys) to write us some RSS Feeds. "For experience," I think one of my teachers said...

I've been telling them that! But apparently, they want us (me and 2 other guys) to write us some RSS Feeds. "For experience," I think one of my teachers said...
    Looks like they are the ones who need some experience.

Looks like they are the ones who need some experience.
    I've even told them about everything you've said here! They still think we should just write our own RSS Feeds.

At least I won't have to do this with my podcast... I'm just getting libsyn.