This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mononoke

edited September 2007 in Anime
Medicine Seller says:Certain conditions must be met for the Sword of Exorcism to be drawn.
If Form, Truth, and Regret are not present, it cannot be unsheathed.
The intertwined fates of men give the Mononoke its Form, Truth is the natural state of all things, and Regret is everpresent in men's hearts.
And so, I'll ask you all to tell me the Truth and Regret!
Mononoke (unrelated to Mononoke-hime/Princess Mononoke) is... Really hard to describe, but very, very awesome. It's about a traveling medicine seller who goes around exorcising Mononoke with a special sword that can only activate when the "form", "truth" and "regret" of a Mononoke is known. That is, what it looks like, why it was created, and what it wants to do. After that, he can perform an exorcism to get rid of it.
The animation style is quite neat. The whole thing is animated to look like it was printed on woodblock prints. Movement is at a premium in this, but when it happens, it happens for maximum effect. The whole thing looks like it took the studio's CG budget for an entire year to do. It's just BEAUTIFUL.
Has anyone else been watching this?

Comments

• Watched the first episode recently, decided I wanted to watch more but haven't gotten around to it yet. I tend to like Japanese ghost stories.
  • That sounds like the last episode from Ayakashi: Japanese Horror. Is the mononoke in question a bakeneko on a rampage at a wedding?
  • That sounds like the last episode from Ayakashi: Japanese Horror. Is the mononoke in question a bakeneko on a rampage at a wedding?
    Mononoke is a spinoff based on that last arch. Same character.
  • Same level of righteous vengeance, or at least all-consuming wrath, I hope.
  • (unrelated to Mononoke-hime/Princess Mononoke)

You've lost my interest
  • Same level of righteous vengeance, or at least all-consuming wrath, I hope.
    I wouldn't know. I haven't watched Ayakashi yet.