This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

For those of you who can't get enough of Scott Rubin...

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Scott appears on both Friday Night Party Line Episode 16 and Over 40 Gamer Episode 7. I posted both of these this evening. The OFG appearance wasn't really planned, but a spontaneous gaming/emulator discussion happened mostly between Nathan and Scott and while it wasn't really FNPL material, it fits well on OFG. Should anyone want to digg these shows, it would be much appreciated (shameless plug).

Comments

• Checking out OFG.

• edited September 2007
    Here are my answers to this week's questions... (not that anyone asked!):
    1) No. As long as someone else is paying, there are some strings attached - even if they allege that there are not.
    2) Steampunk is cool - but alas it's a an aesthetic, nothing more.
    3) Someday, when there are dozens of hacks floating around out there, somebody is going to wonder why they gave that kid a car. Congratulations to the kid, though. I admire him.
    As for the IPod Touch: It's most definitely an improvement, but Apple needs to trim the overall number of models (drop the shuffle?) and needs to improve the memory in the Ipod Touch.
    4) Pleo? Where do I get one!
    5) I can't stand sprawl. Insomuch as skyscrapers reduce sprawl, I'm a fan. I would like to see, though, a requirement that residential units be included in any skyscraper project. What I don't want to see is a building that makes 4,000 more people commute from 1.5 hours away. I also can't stand how stores are built so that you must use your car to go from one to another - I want to see "cluster" development that reduces our need for cars... but that's another story.
    6) (a) Carly Simon; (b) Joan Jett; (c) Cindy Lauper; and (d) Kim Carnes.

Love the show!
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I'm listening to the OFG show now, and I just want someone to shut the guy up who keeps on arguing Scott on the ROM emulation. Scott knows what he's fucking talking about.
  • I'm still listening to this and wanted to comment on the parts about the IT professionals working weekends to do installs. The way it works in my company is that the vendors (IBM, SUN, Cisco, etc) will provide most of the labor for hardware installs so only a few people need to be there to coordinate. When we're installing our own software, that's a weekend but usually only one weekend a year.

We work weekends from home almost exclusively (because we're coordinating) and most of us almost always take a day or two off the next week (Monday/Tuesday is easier to take off then Thursday/Friday before an install). Because of this our 40ish hr/week is maintained. Also, they generally pay people who are expected to work weekends a much higher salary, and we get bonuses (10-15% of our salary) which almost always is "going above an beyond". Working a weekend or two from your porch with a glass of wine in your hand is an easy way to get a 15% bonus.

It sounds a bit like Scott is saying that no price can buy his time. I say calculate 15% of your salary and ask if you'd work two weekends a year (16 hrs total) to get one big check in January for that amount.
  • I'm still listening to this and wanted to comment on the parts about the IT professionals working weekends to do installs. The way it works in my company is that the vendors (IBM, SUN, Cisco, etc) will provide most of the labor for hardware installs so only a few people need to be there to coordinate.At my current company, I'm one of those few people.   I basically babysit the vendor, then go home. It sounds a bit like Scott is saying that no price can buy his time. I say calculate 15% of your salary and ask if you'd work two weekends a year (16 hrs total) to get one big check in January for that amount.Few companies will compensate directly for off-hours work nearly that much, and many actually expect unpaid overtime as part of the duties of the job.
    The only reason I put up with it now is that I expect to either be promoted soon or quit, and even then I refuse more off-hours work than I actually do.