This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• muppet said:

I read that they had done rigorous double/triple/quadruple verifying because of the sheer unlikelihood (or impossibility) that it could actually work? Is that basically all BS then? Seems like you're saying yeah, it is.

I thought the same, and hunted down some original sources - all of them source back to either press releases, press conferences, or forum posts. They might have - but we have no way of knowing if they did, or if these people are just pulling excuses out of their arses.
    muppet said:

It's not hard to believe it's all BS and I believe that these guys probably really do have a crackpot reputation, but a tiny part of me says that ANY science-shaking breakthrough like this would naturally be met with mostly nay-saying and just maybe...

Well, certainly, but when it's so bad that even people in the same fringe field are rejecting you, nobody wants to publish you, and you can't even explain your results that contradict the way we all but absolutely know the universe works without basically making something up, chances are pretty high that the only thing we've broken through to is a previously untapped wellspring of bullshit.

• I'm disposed to believe that if there is life out there they're stuck on their planets just like we are at the moment.
  • I'm disposed to believe that if there is life out there they're stuck on their planets just like we are at the moment.

They could easily be thousands of years more developed than we are by virtue of evolving sooner or having even slightly more abundant natural resources allowing them to develop faster. Or they could be thousands of years behind us for similar reasons.
  • edited May 2015
    Vice - American Obsessions: The Mystical Universe of Magic: The Gathering

A professional Magic player who drops out of college to join the pro circuit, and two brothers wax nostalgic about the spells, creatures, and mana of old.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • http://battle-dog.tumblr.com/
    This has been tiding me over while waiting for cucumber quest to update.
  • edited May 2015
    Most people don't know that the Amazon Fire TV has an official Twitch channel where they stream new and upcoming games coming to the platform. I managed to get on yesterday's stream (I show up at 1:09:00 in the green shirt). It's not that big of a deal, but it made my day.

Edit: This forum embeds Twitch weirdly, so it would be easier to just go there and search for FireTVGames.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Blast from the past, guys:
  • I was trying to explain tiger electronics games to my girlfriend today coincidentally.
  • edited May 2015
    I can't remember if I posted this the first time I saw it, but now it's hit BoingBoing, so here it is:
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited May 2015
    So this has been going around the internet but I seem to have missed it and I also have never seen it here, but it is a very interesting if kind of heartbreaking little comic:

Shut Up and Take My Money! A Tale of a Poor Gamer by Kiva Bay.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • chaosof99 said:

So this has been going around the internet but I seem to have missed it and I also have never seen it here, but it is a very interesting if kind of heartbreaking little comic:

Shut Up and Take My Money! A Tale of a Poor Gamer by Kiva Bay.

She's also running a kickstarter at the moment.

• Praise be! Wegmans is nigh!!

What's a Wegmans and why are we losing our shit on Twitter?
  • Dromaro said:

Praise be! Wegmans is nigh!!

The best fucking grocery store chain in the Western Hemisphere.

• O brave new world. That has such Nintendo in it
  • God, next they are going to say Wawa is moving to NYC... Take all my good stuff will you :-p
  • Rym said:

• Cremlian said:

God, next they are going to say Wawa is moving to NYC... Take all my good stuff will you :-p

If a Dibella's opens and a PAX is hosted within the five boroughs, my life is largely complete.
  • Rym said:

Dromaro said:

Truth. Where else can you storm into a supermarket before closing and buy a roast of Wild Boar? Yes, I did that.
  • Texture mapping, instead of just camouflage.

• Nukerjsr said:

Rym said:

Dromaro said:

Truth. Where else can you storm into a supermarket before closing and buy a roast of Wild Boar? Yes, I did that.
    Pfff, if your Wegman's isn't 24 hours then it's bullshit.
  • Ikatono said:

Nukerjsr said:

Rym said:

Dromaro said:

Pfff, if your Wegman's isn't 24 hours then it's bullshit.