This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Any healthy sweeteners?

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I have type 1 diabetes, and I want to know if there are any healthy sweeteners.

Comments

• I heard Splenda's pretty good.
  • I have type 1 diabetes, and I want to know if there are any healthy sweeteners.
    I don't know about you, but if I were in your condition, I would consult my doctor.
  • I heard Splenda's pretty good.
    Yes, Splenda is great. I use it in my oatmeal every morning.
  • edited September 2007
    I usually use honey and/or fruit. I tend to go the local honey because it helps alleviate my allergies.

Though I don't know what I recommend for you. I agree with the last guy, go see a doctor. Or webmd.com if you're too lazy/don't have money.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • I have type 1 diabetes, and I want to know if there are any healthy sweeteners.
    WIP is 100% correct: go to a doctor. Ask what he recommends. Be wary of advice dispensed on the Internet (except this, of course).
  • edited September 2007
    Also in agreement with the others, and I also have diabetes, talk to your doctor. Ask for reading material as well as any additional and possible online information. There are tons of organizations and support groups that provide a lot of information on living with diabetes.

My father is also type diabetic and he recieves a monthly magazine/pamphlet about diabetes and there is some pretty interesting material in it and some pretty good recipes that is diabetes friendly. I'll have to ask what the name of it is, if you're interested.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Most of the time you should try to avoid it from having a few people in my family that have it. Splenda isn't too bad but from what they say just avoiding sugar natural or otherwise is a good idea.
  • My doctor recommends a "safe" amount of aspertame. From all the horror stories I've heard about aspertame, I don't trust him when it comes to this and I'm definately considering switching doctors.
  • edited September 2007
    Most of the Aspartame "horror stories" are just myths.
    Post edited by VentureJ on