This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The themes of "Watchmen"

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I recently finished reading "Watchmen" by Alan Moore. I thought it was an excellent book, but I was rather torn about the ending. I wish to know your thoughts,

**Spoiler**

It talks about how Ozymandias enacts a raw and difficult form of utilitarianism by murdering millions to save billions. It is interesting how the man who symbolizes absolute knowledge is the one that enacts this plan, and Jon, who symbolizes power and understanding, agrees, but Rorschach disagrees with it. The argument could go either way. Utilitarianism is the greatest amount of good, for the greatest amount of people, for the greatest amount of time. What Ozymandias does is save the vast majority and a minute minority's expense. Which makes sense, the good he does outweighs the crime. But Rorschach, who symbolizes some sort of absolute justice or vengeance, disagrees with it on the basis that the fact that Ozymandias committed a crime, and should be punished as payment for all those who were wronged. The problem I have, is when Jon (absolute power and understanding) destroys Rorschach (absolute justice/vengeance). This hints at the struggle between understanding and vengeance, but I disagree with their demolition of justice. Plus I think Rorschach was the most amazing character in the book and should not have died. So my question to you is, what do you think about how the book portrays the struggle previously stated? What do you think about the controversy in general (not specific to the book)? Or is what I am talking about completely wrong, and I should reread the book?

Comments

• I think that Rorschach also understood the necessity of the actions that Ozymandias took, and he agreed that it was probably the best realistic solution to the problem of global nuclear war. But he also understood that he could not compromise his integrity, his sense of vengeance, and to follow it would result in an even greater loss of life as the world would be purified by atomic flame and then plunged into the Stygian night of a nuclear winter. I think that is why Rorschach told Jon to destroy him.
  • But he also understood that he could not compromise his integrity, his sense of vengeance...
    *nods* Yep. The reason Rorschach was so awesome was because he was the only character at the end that continued to practice what he believed to be right.
  • I don't think it was just that he continued to practice what he believed to be right; I think it was also being able to recognize that the right thing to do can also be the wrong thing to do.
  • I think Katsu hit it on the head. Rorschach recognises and understands all sides of the situation, probably better than anyone. He actually makes the choice to 'stick to his guns' so to speak, knowing what the consequences could likely be. That makes him awesome.
  • Also, justice is not destroyed because Rorschach did submit his journals for publication prior to his death.
  • Yeah, I guess you are right, his thoughts live on, and he stood firm on his beliefs. What do you think The Comedian symbolized? Cynical Humanity?
  • Yeah, I guess you are right, his thoughts live on, and he stood firm on his beliefs. What do you think The Comedian symbolized? Cynical Humanity?
    The philosopher who didn't care.