This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Router Suggestions?

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
So I need to get a router for my setup, and I am not sure who is good. I have 1 machine on windows which will be wired, one running Ubuntu which could be wireless if I can get the wireless to work. So I want something that can do wireless but has good security. I know very little (virtually zip) about networking.

Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• 802.11G NAT router. That's what Scott would suggest, I think...
    I got a Sweex wireless router. I find it to be annoying, but that's just because of it's position and the fact that it keeps bumping my connection (wired) off =___=
  • Linksys WRT54G is the only router 99% of home users will ever need, at least until 802.11n starts working.
  • Also, the WRT54G is good for putting custom firmware on it.
  • I had heard that Linksys routers don't work with linux, since you need to install their proprietary windows/mac only software to authorize a computer to get on.
  • I had heard that Linksys routers don't work with linux, since you need to install their proprietary windows/mac only software to authorize a computer to get on.
    Wtf? It's just DHCP.
  • edited September 2007
    I had heard that Linksys routers don't work with linux, since you need to install their proprietary windows/mac only software to authorize a computer to get on.
    Unless Linksys added some crazy new shit to their routers, this is not the case. All the "software" that you access is on the router, and you can get there from just about anything. You normally view it as a web page.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I am going by comments I have seen on NewEgg that Linksys has done something to there routers so that their special software is needed (comments refer to wireless routers, which is probably what I want to get).
  • I am going by comments I have seen on NewEgg
    The vast majority of comments on NewEgg are rubbish.  Having purchased many a product only to look back later and see what people have said, I can't help but believe that they're just making shit up most of the time.
  • The WRT54G's firmware is actually Linux-based. Linksys had to release the source code for it. All you need is a browser to access the router's settings.
  • I have a WRT54G and I run linux. It works without any special configuration.

Liar.
  • edited September 2007
    Anyone know of a router with gigabit ethernet but only wireless G? I have heard that Pre-N is really dodgy when it comes to interoperability.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Anyone know of a router with gigabit ethernet but only wireless G? I have heard that Pre-N is really dodgy when it comes to interoperability.
    If you buy a router with some pre-n, but you don't use the pre-n, it won't matter. the B and G in the router will work just fine. You only have to worry about buying a router with pre-n if you plan on using the n.