This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ender's Game sequels

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Thanks to some book recommendations on this forum, I've finally started reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It had been sitting on my shelf for years, but for some reason I never got around to reading it. I'm about half way through, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

So here is my question... which sequels are worth reading, and in what order? I noticed that there are a TON of sequels. At some point, it seems like the franchise is just being milked for everything it is worth. I suspect that I will read "Speaker for the Dead," but I'm not sure if anything after that is worth a read.

So what do you folks think?

Comments

• While I enjoyed Ender's Game, I just couldn't get into Speak for the Dead. On the other hand I very much enjoyed "Ender's Shadow" and the books that follow that one. It follow's Bean who is, in my opinion, a far more interesting character than Ender.
  • While I enjoyed Ender's Game, I just couldn't get into Speak for the Dead. On the other hand I very much enjoyed "Ender's Shadow" and the books that follow that one. It follow's Bean who is, in my opinion, a far more interesting character than Ender.
    I agree. Speaker for the Dead was not nearly as good as the Ender's Shadow series.

If you liked Ender's Game, you'd probably like Halo: The Fall of Reach. Even though it's a novel adapted from a video game, it's very good. It's like the author took Ender and stripped all the Hamlet-esque hesitation, waffling, and whining from it.
  • If you likedEnder's Game, you'd probably likeHalo: The Fall of Reach.Even though it's a novel adapted from a video game, it's very good. It's like the author tookEnderand stripped all theHamlet-esque hesitation, waffling, and whining from it.
    Agreed! Fall of Reach was a good read and pretty similar to the Ender Books.
  • I'll have to check that out. I have to admit, though, that the thought of a novel adopted from a videogame is extremely scary to me.

By the way.... some random trivia about myself.

When I was young, I lived in Gulfport, FL. (Just outside of Tampa.) Guess who's property abutted ours (we shared a back-yard border).... Piers Anthony! At the time, he wasn't nearly as popular. He was writing for magazines and the like. He had two young daughters that I used to play with - although I was really young (2-4 years old), so I don't remember much at all.
  • edited September 2007
    By the way... one of my favorite sci-fi books is Ringworld by Larry Niven. I've always enjoyed stories of first-contact. I've also read the Rendezvous with Rama novels by Arthur C. Clarke. I enjoyed them, although not as much as Ringworld.

Does anyone have any suggestions for novels in the Ringworld style?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Crap, I wish I had seen this when it started. Ok, so Ender's Game is good. The next ones in that line are meh. They get pretty weird and, well, I don't really know how else to put it. I'll just leave it at weird. The Shadow series was altogether pretty good. If the original series was people talking, Shadow was stuff happening.
  • edited September 2007
    I'll have to check that out. I have to admit, though, that the thought of a novel adopted from a videogame is extremely scary to me.
    I know. They're usually too terrible for words . . . get it? Novel? Words? HA!

Seriously, The Fall of Reach is not like those other crappy books. It's pretty good.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The sequels are marginal and probably not worth your effort if you don't read lots and lots of SF. The problem with recommending books to people based on the fact that they liked Ender's Game is that Ender's Game is really good and appeals to almost everybody. I guess I'll just have to say that I liked Orbital Resonance, that like Ender's Game its a book mostly about the sociology of a bunch of bright kids growing up on an asteroid, and that other people I've talked to seem to like it as well.
  • In my opinion, Ender's Shadow was actually better than Ender's Game.
  • Ender's Game > Ender's Shadow
    Ender's Shadow Sequels >>> Ender's Game Sequels
  • In my opinion, none of the Ender's Sequels are anywhere near as good as Ender's Game, and I really don't think any of them are worth reading.  Yes, that includes Ender's Shadow.
  • Read Speaker For The Dead, then STOP.
  • I don't understand why people like Ender's Game. I hated it, mainly because I wanted to kill the main character the whole time, and none of the characters seemed at all realistic.
  • I don't understand why people like Ender's Game. I hated it, mainly because I wanted to kill the main character the whole time, and none of the characters seemed at all realistic.
    Explanate.
  • edited September 2007
    Speaker for the Dead was really good. I liked the whol 'piggies' bit. However, I've stopped reading Xenocide, and am pretty much done with Ender's series.

Alternatively, I can never tire of John Steakley's sci-fi novel, Armor.
    Post edited by MitchyD on