This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Radio Drama

edited September 2007 in Suggestions
In the latest college show, Scott talked about radio dramas. I almost hesitate to say it, because it's so obvious, but if you're interested at all in old time radio, try and find some episodes of The Shadow.

In the early 80s, NPR would play a lot of radio drama. They had NPR Theater, in which they would alternate between regular drama, science fiction, mystery, horror, and fantasy. The closest I've ever come to finding any of these shows available to own was a catalog I received sometime in 1987 in which a lot of the shows were only available in collections that I couldn't afford at the time. I've never really found them on the internet. I remember one show in particular in which a guy who had a flat bed tractor trailer was forcibly kidnapped back in time so that he could use his "flat bed dragon" to transport giant stones to Stonehenge. Those shows had a lot of variety and they were very well produced, written, and acted.

They ran a radio series of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings that was pretty decent. They also did a really cool version of The Iliad and The Odyssey. They also played The Incredible Adventures of Jack Flanders, Star Wars, and Word Jazz, which can all be found on various torrent sites. I found one BBC radio drama on Demonoid that did a steampunk Star Wars that was pretty cool.

To this day my favorite radio remains the BBC Radio version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. It was much better than any other version, including the books.

Be sure to try 2000X.

Comments

• Lol. It was funny that they mentioned it, but I'm actually making a Radio Drama of my own. It's for a class, so I would love for you guys to critique it for me. I'll post it online soon.
  • To this day my favorite radio remains the BBC Radio version ofThe Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. It was much better than any other version, including the books.
    I still have to listen to Fit the Fourth and Fit the Fifth of that. The actors are pretty good.
  • Radio Dramas on podcast can be really awesome, I mostly listen to the ones about Doctor Who.
  • The co-hosts of my podcast and some friends of ours have talked about recording our own versions of old radio dramas. Would folks be interested in hearing that? We're all actors/voice actors and have done these things in the past, just never for a podcast.
  • We're all actors/voice actors
    With good production quality, yeah. I'd probably listen to that.
  • Bruce Campbell released his second books as a sort of audio drama. It is called Make Love The Bruce Campbell way. It is on iTunes for $10. I just started to listen to it and so far it is pretty good. Listen to the first sample to get an idea of the style.