This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite manga, comics, commerical and fine artists.

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
One of my favorites is Basquiat. He was one of the big artists in the 80 art boom. When my art teacher in high school show me his stuff and that bio pic and fell for it. His style kinda affected my own for a while.

With manga it's Ai Yazawa. I actually used her NANA manga as an example in class disscussion. It's not just because I'm a fan of ParaKiss and NANA but its so unique. Plus her fashion design is awesome as well. On more than one occassion I wanted to grab the outfits out of the page.

Comments

• Escher, Jean Baptiste, Sho Fumimura (Of "Sanctuary" fame), Banksy and more..
  • Sho Fumimura (Of "Sanctuary" fame)
    Sho Fumimura is not the artist. Sho Fumimura is an alias for Buronson, the writer. The artist is Ryoichi Ikegami.
  • edited October 2007
    I'll keep it short

Traditional Artists
    Eduard Hopper
    Jackson Pollock
    Egon Schiele
    Gustav Klimt

Comic/Manga
    Alex Ross
    Miyasaki
    Yoshitoshi Abe

Graff artists
    Banksy
    Buff Monster
    Above
    Ghost Patrol

Photographers
    David LaChapelle (NOT DAVE CHAPPELLE)
    J.R. (paris)

AND OF COURSE BOB ROSS
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Jackson Pollock
    He's in my top 5.
  • Manga:
    CLAMP as a whole (I despise their ADHD paneling, but their art itself is nice)
  • edited October 2007
    Sho Fumimura (Of "Sanctuary" fame)
    Sho Fumimura is not the artist. Sho Fumimura is an alias forBuronson, the writer. The artist isRyoichi Ikegami.
    Damn, forgot about that.
    Manga:
    CLAMP as a whole (I despise their ADHD paneling, but their art itself is nice)
    Im currently reading "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud and there is a whole lot more to comics than normal art.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Im currently reading "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud and there is a whole lot more to comics than normal art.
    Care to elaborate before I comment on that
  • Whereas in a single picture you make one set of decisions based on the scene and message you want to portray in comics you have to make decisions on a frame to frame basis as well as on the effect of each page and how your story works as a whole. You also have to think about movement, as in how actions progress from frame to frame and at what pace. A lot of the rest of it is just what you would get with normal art but increased as you have to do so repeatedly.
  • How does this relate to my statement on CLAMP?
  • Whereas in a single picture you make one set of decisions based on the scene and message you want to portray in comics you have to make decisions on a frame to frame basis as well as on the effect of each page and how your story works as a whole. You also have to think about movement, as in how actions progress from frame to frame and at what pace. A lot of the rest of it is just what you would get with normal art but increased as you have to do so repeatedly.
    Now imagine having to do all that with just one frame, thats traditional art, you have to tell a whole story with one frame, you don't get the luxury of introducing characters and setting the mood over the frames, set some tension, etc, you have to do it all in a single shot. The same goes for photography, some people think that it's just click click and done.
  • ::Reads thread title, explodes in a hail of confetti::
  • edited October 2007
    ::Reads thread title, explodes in a hail of confetti::
    ArtBoy is really a pinata?

You know what. If I knew more of the artists in the Dada movement I'd add them to my list too. If you don't know what dadaism is I suggest looking it up or going to any exibit of it. They had an exibit at the National Gallery last year. It started a huge dada trend at school too.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Don't listen to a word Scott McCloud says. He needs to shove his "infinite canvas" up his ass.
  • Unfortunately, I don't have many artistic influences or role models.. Jhonen Vasquez and Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante are pretty much the only ones that come up. The former, I loved his shady, dark feel; the latter I loved how he made the Sonic characters 'pop' so much more, making his style unique.

I guess I just don't remember names very well... Doesn't help that I'm picky in what I like - manga/anime styles, in my opinion, are 'entertainment' pure and simple; abstract is confusing and a little on the annoying side for me; realism tends to look a lot alike and the 'underwear perverts' style (aka American comics, specifically the older kinds) are ugly to me.

Huh. I seem narrow minded. I guess I am.
  • Artists:
    Marc Davis
    Claude Coats
    Herbert Ryman
    Peter Ellenshaw
    John Hench

Manga:
    Tite Kubo (BLEACH)
    Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin)
    Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)