This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Search: New MP3 Player

edited October 2007 in Technology
Now that my old iPod mini is busted I'm in the market for a new MP3 player. The features that I would like to have are good sound quality, video capability and a decent battery life. The only 2 I have looked at so far are the new iPod nano and the Zune, since my budget is about $200. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    The new Zune looks pretty good, and the 8gb one is $200.
    Some other ones, I would say, that look pretty good are the new Creative ZEN ($200 for 8GB) or the Cowon iAUDIO 7 (Endorsed by Geeknights, and only $187 for 8GB).
    I'm probably going to go for one of the new Zunes when they come out next month.
    Post edited by Usagimaru on
  • edited October 2007
    Quick!! Get on this deal before it's too late!

[Edit] It's gone. Forget it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • cowon iaudio 7
  • Like Nar said, Creative ZENs are the win. Mine has fallen many a time, and it broke it half eventually, though I picked it up, snapped the casing back together, and it works to this day.
  • My recommendations are as follows:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855228009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855625003
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855625005
    . . . all <$200. The one caveat is that since you started iPod all you music may be in the iPod format and likely will need to be converted if you're using a non-iPod player. Check into that before you buy if it's going to be an issue.
  • Thanks first of all!

I look at the Cowon iAUDIO 7 and it seemed kind of big, since it has a depth of nearly an inch. The Creative ZEN seems great. But why does this 8GB model cost $200 and the 30GB Zune cost $179?
  • Oh why won't they fit the D2 with a hard drive! WHY!!!!11
  • The Creative ZEN seems great. But why does this 8GB model cost $200 and the 30GB Zune cost $179?

First of all, it's because the ZEN uses flash memory, while the Zune uses a hard drive, and the ZEN is lot smaller than the Zune.  If you were worried about the Cowon being big, then you might not want to go with the Zune.  But the reason why the 30GB Zune costs $179 is because thats one of the older ones.  Microsoft is going to release 80GB, 8GB, and 4GB Zunes in November.
    Personally, I don't like the older Zunes.  They're a little bit too big, and I didn't thing they had much going for them.  But if you want the 30GB of space, then I would say go for that Zune.  They upgraded the firmware of it to be identicle to the menu system and everything of the newer ones that are not out yet.  So even though it's older, it'll still have all the features of the newer ones coming out.  Here's a picture of all the Zunes.  The 8GB or 4GB flash Zune is on the left, the 80GB Zune is in the middle, and the older 30GB Zune is on the right.  The only thing that I'm not sure of about the old Zune's upgraded firmware is if it can wirelessly sync like the Zunes that are going to come out next month.
  • The 60 Zen Vision:M is like $230, isn't it?

The Vision is a pretty great player, and the only one I've found that's really solid and reliable like my old Dell one was (I know Creative was involved in the manufacture of Dell's DJs, but I think it might've just been for the UI). Plus the Vision does Divx playback.
  • I'm thinking of selling my iPod (30GB) and getting something a little more "user friendly".

My needs:

Podcast retrieval.
    Stop a podcast and return to it later at the same point I stopped even if I play something else in between.

Things I want:

Wi-Fi
    Intuitive menus
    Open format support
    Drag and drop file system
  • Thanks again.
  • edited October 2007

Stop a podcast and return to it later at the same point I stopped even if I play something else in between.
    I think if you rename the file to .m4b it will bookmark the file. Though I think that only works with m4a files.
    Open format support
    Hows the battery life with rockbox at the moment? as that has a lot of cool features.
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• Podcast retrieval.
    Only the iPod does this.
  • Podcast retrieval. Stop a podcast and return to it later at the same point I stopped even if I play something else in between.Only the iPod does this.

Actually, and this is another reason why I like it, you'll be able to stop a podcast and return to it with the new Zunes.  Again, I'm not sure if the old Zunes with a new firmware will be able to do this too, but I saw a video of the new ones doing it.