This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol - Only at Wal-Mart?

edited October 2007 in Video Games
So I'm a fan of this little unpopular game that was released for the Gamecube last February. It's called Chibi-Robo. In the game you play as the eponymous three-inch-tall robot and go about doing menial tasks to make Chibi's host family happy. Chibi can also converse with the strangely living toys that populate the house. However it doesn't take long for the game to become rather dark; the parents of Chibi's host family begin talks of divorce, one of the toys die, and a teddy bear turns out to have a rather disturbing addiction to nectar.

It was just another quirky game from Japan that slipped under the radar. Not many people played it, and I was never able to successfully convince my friends to play it (seeing as, to them, it looked like a game where you do chores as a tiny robot). Yet somehow it managed to get a sequel for the DS. When I first heard the news I was incredibly excited. As more information came out, I simply could not wait to get the game and begin breakdancing to bring flowers back to life in the new park Chibi gets to explore.

But today I got an e-mail from Nintendo, one of the many I get for being on their mailing list. It was about Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol, the new game on the DS. As I was glancing over it, something caught my eye. A little box at the bottom of the e-mail, just below a picture of the game's box art.

"Only at Wal-Mart!"

I couldn't understand it. Only at Wal-Mart? Why only at Wal-Mart?! Chibi-Robo may not be a popular game, but it certainly shouldn't be reduced to being available only at Wal-Mart. I would understand it the "Only at Wal-Mart" game was, say, Tamagotchi Party on the Wii, but Chibi-Robo? I was just... I'm STILL just baffled.

Here's a link to the official website for Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol, in case you want some proof that this is indeed only at Wal-Mart:
http://www.chibi-robo.com/prelaunch/

To be entirely honest, I probably just sound like a ranting fanboy who doesn't like to see his precious game get removed from its pedestal in any way. And in a way, I am. But the thing is, Chibi-Robo was already pretty low on the food chain since it started out. The fact it somehow managed to procure a sequel is amazing. But I just don't understand why it's only available at Wal-Mart. It just.. it just seems odd to me.

Comments

• Chibi-robo is not a popular game. But when they first released it, Nintendo was fully expecting it to be a popular game. So, I'm sure that Wall-mart bought the exclusivity on this unpopular little series relatively cheap.
  • This game is fun! It seriously is!
  • Also at the Nintendo World Store. I've heard a lot about Chibi-Robo over the years. It has definitely gotten on my radar. There were just always games ahead of it.
  • Did the email mention the tree planting campaign? I got some info on this game last week from Nintendo and did not even notice the Wal-Mart sticker on the box cover. Guess I should have written about it...
  • The e-mail didn't say anything about the tree planting campaign - I only found out about that when I went to the offical site.

Also at the Nintendo World Store? Huh, should've guessed that it wouldn't be ONLY at Wal-Mart.. maybe I jumped to a conclusion too quickly.
  • I have completely refused to even enter a Wal-Mart, unfortunately I will not break that refusal to get this game. I hope I am able to get to New York soon...
  • I have completely refused to even enter a Wal-Mart, unfortunately I will not break that refusal to get this game. I hope I am able to get to New York soon...
    ebay/craigslist.
  • I think why Nintendo did this was, because Wal-Mart is a huge chain, so giving them a title like this exclusively means that they'll promote the hell out of the fact that its exclusive to them, meaning Nintendo doesn't have to do anything. Plus the game will still sell to those Chibi-Robo fans that bought the last one, since they'll know about it being there and go anyway to buy it.

And doing this with Wal-mart makes them happy, and couple potentially lead to Wal-mart promoting Wii more then the other consoles.
  • Sorry for the necropost, but has anyone played this? I keep seeing it at the store, and I am thinking of picking it up even though FF:CC Ring of Fates is coming out in a few weeks. I need a new DS game, and I'm honestly contemplating of picking it up. Thanks.