This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Pictures/My Music Icon problem

edited October 2007 in Technology
I've recently purchased a new computer and had it built. Earlier this evening I started installing various updates and programs to get my computer how I like it, I step away from my computer, and I come back to find my boyfriend attempting to link our computers on the same network so he can tranfer files onto my computer. I think nothing of it, until I find this in "My Documents" folder:

Now, I have absolutely no idea what happened, or what he did. I tried doing a system restore to fix this problem. It didn't work. I then go to google to research this, and the best thing I could come up with is purchasing Registry Mechanic for $30 and having that fix that problem. Now my question is, before purchasing this product, will it solve my problem? If it doesn't, what will restore my icons? I'm at the point of frustration where I want to commit violence to my boyfriend for doing this. Thanks for any help.

**Edit**
I can still access the folder with the default files in there, but the icon images are just no longer there.

Comments

• It seems that it is just the icons that are the problem. Just right click on them, go to properties and on the last tab, it should say Personalize or something like that (mine is in spanish so I can't tell the exact word) but right there you can choose the image to display.
  • Ah, stubborn icons. DoubleZ's right. Right-click and you should be able to pick a different icon for those folders. I myself have a problem with all .htm[l] files having a .bat image. And they don't listen to me changing the icons through the Folder Options. *grumbles* Meh, I can live with it.
  • Linux
    That's the alternative, not the solution.
  • It seems that it is just the icons that are the problem. Just right click on them, go to properties and on the last tab, it should say Personalize or something like that (mine is in spanish so I can't tell the exact word) but right there you can choose the image to display.

Yeah, I know about that, however when I right click on those icons, the "Customize" Tab is no longer there. So I can't choose what icon I want. Believe me, I've tried it. >.
  • Hrmmmm... Try downloading TuneUp Winstyler. You can reload the icon cache with that, perhaps that'll fix it. And ask your boyfriend what he did. Linking 2 computers in a network does influence icons in any normal way.
  • Thanks Nineless. I'll go ahead and try that when I get back home. If worse comes to worse, I can always reinstall XP, hoping that should solve the problem. When I asked my bf what he did, all he said was he tried setting up the Networking Wizard and just followed the prompts.
  • Linux
    That's the alternative, not the solution.
    Linux is the solution. It is not alternative, it is superior.
    On a more serious note, If you are getting a new computer set up it would be a good time to see if linux might suit you.
    One thing that really annoys me no end with windows is when it freezes or does something stupid for absolutely no reason; with linux I almost always know why something isn't working and generally because I caused it.
  • For a brief history on this, for the last few months, I've been researching this. I've listened to the Geeknights podcasts on "Buying a New Computer" parts 1, 2, & 3. I was going to send Scrym an email saying thanks for those awesome podcasts, but I'll just say it here: Thanks. I've learned a good amount of information about computers and its components and what they do from those podcasts. I really appreciate it. Now I'm listening to the Computer Maintenance episodes. ^^;;

As much as I would like to learn how to use and install Linux, right now, I know it's not for me. With my knowledge with computers and my own personal free time, I know/feel that XP is what is best for me. Perhaps down the line, I will listen to the podcast of getting into Linux and perhaps doing that.

• As much as I would like to learn how to use and install Linux, right now, I know it's not for me. With my knowledge with computers and my own personal free time, I know/feel that XP is what is best for me. Perhaps down the line, I will listen to the podcast of getting into Linux and perhaps doing that.
    If you can burn a CD, you can try Linux for free, with no risk and without having to learn anything. You don't have to learn it, use it full-time, or even install it. But it really doesn't hurt to try it out for a few minutes with no risk or cost other than the time it takes to burn a CD, a blank CD-R, and the time it takes to boot your computer.
  • Get a new boyfriend.
  • Get a new boyfriend.
    LOL. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.
  • With my knowledge with computers and my own personal free time, I know/feel that XP is what is best for me.Ubuntu is your friend.
  • OK. Real advice now. You may be able to just copy/paste the folders and the copy will be fixed.

If you make a new folder does it look like a folder? If so make a new one, go to properties and make it a "Music" or "Pictures" folder and then just copy the files into the new folders while deleting the broken ones.
  • I'm still at work, but as far as I know, I can create new folders and they look fine. I know I can change the icon to make it look like however I want it to look like. However, doesn't the My Music & My Pictures folder have some certain properties in it for how it works? I know it sounds confusing, but whenever you open those folders, the My Music folder has on the far left a task bar for Music Task or Picture Tasks for the My Pictures folder. If I can just recreate a folder, can I assume I can make those folders have similar properties?
  • I know it sounds confusing, but whenever you open those folders, the My Music folder has on the far left a task bar for Music Task or Picture Tasks for the My Pictures folder. If I can just recreate a folder, can I assume I can make those folders have similar properties?
    Yes you can. It'll be the options in the customize tab. You'll have everything on the right that'll include the "Music" or "Pictures tasks".

I often times keep multiple versions of pictures and folders on spare drives so I do this often. I will do my best to give you a tutorial:
    - Create and name the new folder
    - Right-click, properties on the folder.
    - Select the Customize Tab.

For pictures:
    - select "Pictures (best for many files)" from the drop-down list
    - select the box that says "Also apply this template to all subfolders"
    - Click the 'Change Icon' button to select the 'My Pictures' icon for the folder
    - Press "Apply"

For Music:
    - select "Music (best for audio files and playlists)" from the drop-down list
    - Click the 'Change Icon' button to select the 'My Music' icon for the folder
    - Press "Apply"

The only other thing is if you like to access your My Music and My Pictures folders from your start menu, you will need to replace the shortcuts there as well. You just have to delete the old ones and add the new ones. Let me know if you have questions!
  • Get a new boyfriend.
    LOL. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.
    Also, I doubt anything your boyfriend did screwed up the computer. ^_^
  • Thanks, I thought so. I'll be having some fun tonight messing around with my new comp.
    edited October 2007
    OK. Real advice now. You may be able to just copy/paste the folders and the copy will be fixed.

If you make a new folder does it look like a folder? If so make a new one, go to properties and make it a "Music" or "Pictures" folder and then just copy the files into the new folders while deleting the broken ones.
    AND BREAKING PARTS OF YOUR FILESYSTEM! *Continues reading posts*
    I know it sounds confusing, but whenever you open those folders, the My Music folder has on the far left a task bar for Music Task or Picture Tasks for the My Pictures folder. If I can just recreate a folder, can I assume I can make those folders have similar properties?
    Yes you can. It'll be the options in the customize tab. You'll have everything on the right that'll include the "Music" or "Pictures tasks".

I often times keep multiple versions of pictures and folders on spare drives so I do this often. I will do my best to give you a tutorial:
    - Create and name the new folder
    - Right-click, properties on the folder.
    - Select the Customize Tab.

For pictures:
    - select "Pictures (best for many files)" from the drop-down list
    - Click the 'Change Icon' button to select the 'My Pictures' icon for the folder
    - Press "Apply"

For Music:
    - select "Music (best for audio files and playlists)" from the drop-down list
    - Click the 'Change Icon' button to select the 'My Music' icon for the folder
    - Press "Apply"

The only other thing is if you like to access your My Music and My Pictures folders from your start menu, you will need to replace the shortcuts there as well. You just have to delete the old ones and add the new ones. Let me know if you have questions!
    Those steps only create a folder with certain, basic, picture folder properties as thumbnails and that kind of stuff. It does not become a replacement for a My Pictures folder without messing in the Registry. For example, when you safe a file you get thumbnails to the left of the window with "Computer" "My documents" and some other things. The same way the My Pictures folder is a special system folder.
    Post edited by ... on