This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott... & Rym?! on FNPL.

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Yes, it's true. Both of the FRC Heroes had time to hang with Ray, Kyle and I last night. The result can only be called great radio, IMHO. They worried about taking over the show, but I think the 3 lawyers held their own.

Here are the topics:

–Tax evading idiots and blogosphere response. There were some tax cheats recently captured by the U.S. Government and bloggers went nuts. Why is it so hard for some people to pay their taxes?
– Unusual experiences with people you’ve sold stuff to. I had a recent
encounter with a very motivated dude concerning a car. (8:33)
–best hotel rooms you’ve ever occupied and why. (16:18)
–8 simple-minded ways to enjoy every day. (25:59)
http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/enjoy-life-each-day/
–Classical literature versus comic books and manga. Shouldn’t you limit your consumption of lowbrow entertainment? (42:56)
–What questions do you have about life? Thinking people work out most of the main issues and life isn’t really much of a mystery. Do you even have any and if so what are they? (59:24)

(I have to make mention of the fact that I had never heard the term Hikikomori until Scott used it in this show. Thanks for that.)

Comments

• (I have to make mention of the fact that I had never heard the term Hikikomori until Scott used it in this show. Thanks for that.)
    I learned it from welcome to the NHK.
  • Does this mean the end of the world is near? Downloading. Yeah for the awesome Ray, Kyle and Thead the Lawyers vs. Scott and Rym the crazy pangeek Podcasters.
  • This podcast makes me feel stupid. :(
  • That was one of the most intelligent conversations I've ever heard.
  • Don't worry, it makes me feel stupid too!
  • This podcast makes me feel stupid. :(
    Don't worry, it makes me feel stupid too!
    Even though I didn't understand some things I learned something new. I may have felt similar to you two but afterwards I left with something new in my brain. ^_^ It's happy!But I only felt that way with the tax part since I barely understand tax stuff and the book conversation.

I really should try some new books. It doesn't hurt to read something without pictures for once.
    edited October 2007
    I!... I... Boku... .__. *can't deny also feeling stupid* But-but, I are nineteen and Dutch! :D *has reason to feel stupid*

@ Viga o.o You have a very nice voice to listen to.

EDIT: Also, commenting halfway through podcast episodes means there's potential more commenting.

Ack! O.O;; It, it... it sounds weird, my nickname being said out loud. And people talking about me, without me being present, yet being able to know what's been said. Thank you though. I feel honored and it makes me feel weird, in a good way. And to Thaed, I'm also on Digg, use the nickname Nineless there too, as I try everywhere I get. I also use the same avatar on Digg as I use here, the colourful Kino one.

To all of you who don't know, I was listening to Over 40 Gamer. Really nice quick reviews of various games and consoles and Thaeds opinions on them. And Viga was on there this last episode (episode 8), which brings me to this idea:

Rym and Scott, what about an "Other podcasts" category? In which posts can be made like this, or where people can talk about other podcasts not connected by merely listeners. This idea probably came to me since I've found a Linux for newbs podcast called Linux Reality. It's nice, useful if you try to get into Linux. The host tries his best to make sure his podcast is listenable (only listened to the first 29 episodes thus far, thus can't say how much it has improved since episode one, seeing as it's already one year old iirc).

*thinks about making an avatar consisting only of the word "MALE"*
    Post edited by ... on

• @ Viga o.o You have a very nice voice to listen to.
    That made me blush. Thank you. <3

The reason why I thought you were a girl (and imagine you as a catgirl) is because your screenname reminds me of this anime Loveless. That's even weirder because that anime centers around a catboy I think. Sorry Mr. Nineless! *bows*

I'm going to check out that Linux for newbs podcast. I am considering at least trying it once. I used to think only super tech guys could use Linux.
  • edited October 2007
    I understood because I watched this excellent Nova program on PBS. Here is the intro:

And here is part one of the show on the YouTubes:

Post edited by Jason on
  • Random thought on the classics:

Euripides trousers - you menda dese trousers!
  • Very good podcast. I decided to check out the other FNPLs with Scott in them. I listened to episode 9 (05/26/06) and it was pretty damn hilarious. My favorite part was at 58:46 where Scott was talking about how to replace a hard drive and Kelly goes "Can you say that again? Cuz that was really sexy." And they all laugh and Scott gives a nervous laugh. XD I lol'd at work. I look forward to listening to other FNPL podcasts.
  • Have you thought about putting posts for the FNPL you guys participate in on FRC.com like you do for Geeknights? I seem to remember you guys stating that the site was not just for Geeknights but all activities that the FRC participate in.
  • Very good podcast. I decided to check out the other FNPLs with Scott in them. I listened to episode 9 (05/26/06) and it was pretty damn hilarious. My favorite part was at 58:46 where Scott was talking about how to replace a hard drive and Kelly goes "Can you say that again? Cuz that was really sexy." And they all laugh and Scott gives a nervous laugh. XD I lol'd at work. I look forward to listening to other FNPL podcasts.
    Download them all. All are awesome. And more women should join the Friday Night Party Line. So far only 2 have been on the show, one of them being the wife of a more regular member. *looks in Viga's direction*
  • My wife wanted to chime in during the last recording session.
  • Getting women on the show is no easy feat. Viga may well do a future show and consider Kyle's wife invited.
  • edited October 2007
    My wife was a philosophy major in college, so she had a lot to say about the "meaning of life" segment.

We usually spend an hour or two debriefing after she listens. It's pretty fun, actually. She just gets intimidated by geeks, since she's much more the liberal-arts type.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Awesome episode! Best so far I'd say! I was agreeing with the bit about time being a filter for greatness. I've always mentioned that I think distance is similar. Most of the foreign movies and literature that gets translated, licensed, and sold in the USA seems to be better on average than the stuff coming out here. I know for a fact that this isn't the case locally in these countries (most places seem to have more crap!). It just seems like only the good stuff makes it here (because why import crap?). Interesting note: I don't think this is the case for Japanese literature.

I dunno. You guys keep doing the episodes and I'll keep listening. Thaed, you're a great facilitator.
  • So here are the questions that my wife has in response to the "thinking people have life figured out" premise:
    1) Why is there something, rather than nothing?
    2) Why do we exist in space and time?
    3) Does anything exist outside of space and time?

She's still pondering these questions, and would love to know what answers other folks have.
  • 1) Why is there something, rather than nothing?
    There is no why. That's just the way it is.
    We do not know because we can't perceive anything outside of space and time. So as far as humans are concerned right now, no nothing exists outside space and time in the same way the tree falling in the woods makes no sound. If we eventually are able to perceive something outside of space and time, this may change.
  • edited October 2007
    We do not know because we can't perceive anything outside of space and time.
    There is no why. That's just the way it is.
    That's fine - but does that mean that you don't wonder? I believe that was her point.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • So here are the questions that my wife has in response to the "thinking people have life figured out" premise:

She's still pondering these questions, and would love to know what answers other folks have.
    1) On the contrary, there is both something and nothing. Moreover there are dimensions that we are unable to perceive.
    2) Because space and time are vehicles for our very short existence, if we exist at all.
    3) Yes. Space and time are but two of many dimensions.

Why questions tend to devolve into things beyond our perception, either in physical space today or in the deep past beyond our current ability to observe. All will be revealed, but sadly, probably not in our lifetimes.
  • That's fine - but does that mean that you don't wonder? I believe that was her point.
    Wonder about what? If you are asking the question why as in "what is the cause?", then you are making the assumption there is a cause. That at one point there was not something and then there was something. There could have always been something going back into history for infinity.

If you are asking the question why as in "what is the reason or purpose?" you are again assuming there is a reason or purpose. Reason and purpose only exist when an action is preceded by a decision making process. For example, you can ask what is the reason I choose to play video games. I choose to play video games because when I play them it creates pleasurable feelings in me that I desire. You can ask what is the reason for stars going nova. We know the direct causality, if not the original one. But as for purpose, there isn't one. That's just the way we know the universe works based upon what we have observed.

There is no why, it's just the way it is.

1) Because then there would be nothing.
    2)That's like asking the meaning of life. We were born, evolved or created.
    3)Who knows. We wont until we get cool technology to find out. Until then we just imagine what might be.