This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steampunk novels

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
I am about to start reading Mainspring by Jay Lake. It's got me interested in the whole steampunk novel scene.

Does anyone have some good contemporary steampunk novels that they could recommend?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    I read this book about a month ago. The plot is okay, the characterization is workmanlike, and the end gets a bit preachy. The best thing about the book is the background conceit that the planets roll around on real tracks like a brass model of the solar system and that the whole thing is actually a clockwork.

Don't get me wrong - it's not bad. It's worth reading. It's just not brilliant.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Yeah... I could tell that the reviews were average. It's a quick read, though, so I figured I would give it a shot.

But surely there must be better out there...
  • I posted a couple of days ago about the John Carter novels. They were great, and the first novel, A Princess of Mars, was written at the tail end of the Edwardian Era, when Victoria was still a fresh memory. That should be steampunk enough, but if it isn't how do plant men, eight foot tall green fighting men, helium barges and naked princesses sound to you?
  • edited October 2007
    I think "A Princess of Mars" is more fantasy than I care for. I'm also looking for something more contemporary, but with a steampunk plot.

It is available as a free download for my Sony Reader, though. (and other formats for those interested) That makes it pretty tempting.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I started reading The Difference Engine on the plane yesterday. So far so good.