This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Call of Duty 4

edited October 2007 in Video Games
Has anyone else played the single player demo for COD:MW? If so, what do you think? I thought it was good, but it's just like call of duty 2 with updated weapons, graphics and time period. I'll still probably get it. I'm sure the multiplayer is great.

I was pretty psyched when I picked up a G3 (weapon) in the game. I have the assault rifle equivalent of the H&K G3 in real life. It's pretty awesome!

Comments

• I haven't had a chance to play the single player at a store (none are remotely close to me >
  • The demo was pretty impressive, but I don't think I'll be buying another CoD game.

Take that statement as you will.
  • Didn't play the demo or beta... Still don't really want it....
  • Anybody know anything on the story? That is other than England and America vs. (*insert Middle-eastern Country here*) and Russia?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4:_Modern_Warfare
    This time it seems to be more plot driven than the first 2 games which were obviously Allies vs. Axis in WW2.  It looks pretty awesome - I was excited about CoD 3 but it's Wii only release put me off as in the end I buy CoD primarily for PC multiplayer gaming and I'm not sure how it fared on the Wii but I didn't here too much about it.
  • Anybody know anything on the story? That is other than England and America vs. (*insert Middle-eastern Country here*) and Russia?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4:_Modern_Warfare

This time it seems to be more plot driven than the first 2 games which were obviously Allies vs. Axis in WW2.  It looks pretty awesome - I was excited about CoD 3 but it's Wii only release put me off as in the end I buy CoD primarily for PC multiplayer gaming and I'm not sure how it fared on the Wii but I didn't here too much about it.

Well, as someone who personally owns COD:MW, I can personally tell you that while multiplayer is the fucking shit, I have to say that single player mode is garbage due to the shortness of the scenario and the plot which is very very predictable.
  • Single player is very short but there are 3 difficulties and the arcade mode has had me play most of the way though the game a couple more times. Also the mission with the A10 is something you shouldn't miss. If you are interested at all I'd say pick it up. Single player is very short, but I feel it was worth the money.
  • The single player mode is pretty good (controls, gameplay, and graphics), but I agree that it is too short. The multiplayer isn't particularly to my liking and I can't quite place what exactly it is that I don't like. It's a decent buy if you pick it up from Amazon when it's on sale ($39.99 with no tax and free shipping).
  • In hindsight, I liked this game more when I wasn't playing it. Looking back on it, I think 'Yeah!!!' - Playing it though, I was ready to fucking kill something.
  • That's because the single player is bad.
  • We got a copy of this in for review and I passed it on to the one person I know with a 360.

He brought it (and 2 other games) to a party and him (and the rest of his friends) played it for about 6 hours straight. One of the other games was GH3 and it got a little bit of play. The last was ATV vs. MX and it got almost no play all night.
  • edited January 2008
    I love it.

Single player and Multiplayer. I've not finished the single player yet, but I think the MP is pretty badass. Me and a friend of mine load it up whilst on skype to each other, go on opposing teams and keep trying to butcher one another. It's great stuff.

The single player is pretty good, I think. I've not seen why everyone hates it, other than the predictable AI. This game has a lot of memorable moments, a lot of times I was thinking "Holy crap!" when I saw some of the cooler parts in the game. The plot isn't amazing, [possible spoiler] not sure what you can expect, plot-wise, from a game where you play as either the Marines or SAS, trying to capture some guy before a nuclear strike happens.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and I'm glad I purchased it.

(I have the PC Version of the game).
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Norvu, expect much pants peeing.
  • The end of the single player in this game is truly awesome. In fact the whole single player is brilliant and it has one of the best levels in FPS history. The story is also good for a FPS and certainly better than Halo 3s excuse for a plot.
    The multiplayer is also brilliant and is the only reason why I have subscription to xboxlive gold. Just needs the patch to come out now to fix the hosting problem and the sniper hit boxes.
  • The flashback sniper mission was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
  • edited January 2008
    I need to get this game, I have so much fun playing it at my friend's house.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • COD4 is now more widely played on Xbox Live than Halo 3. Infinity Ward must have done something right then.
  • I bought this game pretty much on release date.

It's been keeping me away from the general Internets!
  • All I've got to say is "AC-130 FTW!"
  • Just picked up this game and I'm digging the single player. I've also learned after playing it on my bro-in-laws ps3 that I very much prefer the 360 and the way the controller handles for FPS games. Stupid PS3 pinchy trigger buttons.
  • I am waiting for the OS X version.
  • I cannot speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure WiP (Oh, sorry - Andrew) likes this game very much. Statistically speaking that is.
  • I cannot speak for myself,
    And neither you dare! *shakes fist*
  • I cannot speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure WiP (Oh, sorry - Andrew) likes this game very much. Statistically speaking that is.
    Indeed I do. I have played it with much frequency, albeit not much in the past week because I was on spring break. The multiplayer is of the highest quality that one can find for FPS games.
    Haha. Good call. Again. Damn.
  • My only problem with CoD4 is how every time I play the multiplayer I tend to yell "bullshit!" a lot. Getting killed by a headshot, from 50+ meters away, that is bullshit. Getting killed by a head shot from far away and with a shotgun, that is bullshit!

I never get this moments when playing TF2, maybe its the graphics.

If I want some fierce, hardcore multiplayer I go for some CoD4, if I want meaningless, fun, quick play TF2 is for me.
    Bravo.