This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you control your earbud cords?

edited October 2007 in Technology
Everyone keeps talking about how great their ear buds are and picking up these fancy $100 isolator buds and all that. I'm considering it as well but I have one concern that keeps me from ordering these things. How do you contain/control the cord when you aren't using them? For instance, I currently have a pair of Philip's collapsible headphones:
image image
As you can see the cord is pretty easy to deal with. The headphones are just large enough when collapsed to wrap the cord around them without having it remain sort of curly which a definite plus.

I have never found any reasonable way of doing this with ear buds or for that matter most other headphones. I can't stand having the cord wadded up in a cluster-fuck mess of wire that generally tangles several times around the headphones and everything else they come in contact with. That always requires a 10 minute task of untangling which is 10 minutes I could've been listening to Geeknights. ;)

I'm also not a fan of wrapping it around the iPod or other portable device as it undoubtedly slides down and winds up tangling up and possibly teleporting itself to the fourth dimension.

Comments

• It comes with a pouch. I put them in the pouch. When you wear them, there is a clip. If you want, they sell various cord management doohickeys for just a few dollars.
  • I just took one of the ties and made a coil to hold the wire folded over. If anyone has some way I can stop them getting so dirty I would really appreciate it.
  • If anyone has some way I can stop them getting so dirty I would really appreciate it.
    Get black covers.
  • Looking at them isn't the problem. When they get dirty it makes the inside of my ears feel nasty.
  • Looking at them isn't the problem. When they get dirty it makes the inside of my ears feel nasty.
    I guess I don't have that problem. If something gets on them, it just wipes off. I would try a different type of cover either way if it's a problem.
  • I use the bag they came in with.
  • I cannot think of the last time I got earbuds that didn't come with some kind of case. Even the $1 ones from Walgreens have a crappy case.
  • Mine are always wrapped around my MP3 player, except when they're in my ears.
  • My iPod has a case with a small lil screw thing (it's actually for the clip which I never use, so I just leave it off), so when I wrap it, it doesn't fall off.

I do have the problem of the gross stuff on it because I stick it into my bag, but since it's plastic-rubber-stuff, I just wipe it off; occasionally, I take a small piece of wet paper towel and clean it properly. Mine didn't come with a case, actually. I wish they did. I hate them because, originally, they actually fit in my ear, so they didn't pop out and blocked most of the noise, but now it just hurts my ear because I take them out far too often. L'sigh.

Cheap idea for them? Buy a little sack or even a ziplock (depends how much you care about appearances), wrap the headphones around the player, and stick both mp3 player and headphones in. Tra-la. =3