This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sumo in trouble

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
For those interested in Japanese culture, here is an interesting article on a tragedy in the Sumo world and the decline of the sport.

Pretty wild stuff.

Comments

• I watched some sumo years ago on ESPN2 on Jet Blue. It was actually a pretty good sport as far as I could see. If I watched TV, and it was on, I would stop to watch it. I saw the yokozuna, Asoshoryuo fight in his pre-yokozuna days. he was pretty impressive regardless of any other shady conduct.

All I can say is that it is good that Japan is cleaning up their dirty sport. If only in the US we cleaned up our crappy sports (NASCAR), and wannabe sports (pro "wrestling").
  • and wannabe sports (pro "wrestling").
    Pro wrestling is a sport?
  • Pro wrestling is a sport?
    No, it just wants to be.
  • I wonder if the birth rate decline also has to do something with this.
  • I wonder if the birth rate decline also has to do something with this.

I'm missing the connection.
  • Well you see with less babies then the would not be a bigger audience for the sport, without an audience then the sport would not have followers or people wanting to become a sumo wrestler.
  • Well you see with less babies then the would not be a bigger audience for the sport, without an audience then the sport would not have followers or people wanting to become a sumo wrestler.

One might expect to see a drop in the interest of all sports at this point. The article itself mentions that baseball and other 'western' sports are gaining in popularity while Sumo is declining. Also, I think popularity would necessarily need to be measured on a per capita basis which would negate population flux.