This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

30 Days of Night

edited October 2007 in Movies
Having read the comic book, I was a little hesitant about seeing the movie. The comic book had some pretty good ideas, but it didn't do so well in conveying the passage of time. For the movie, they took the good ideas and fleshed them out a bit. They added a little cheese: constantly hissing vampires and a scene of over-the-top neo-Bruckheimer action. I would recommend this movie for anyone who...

likes 28 Days Later.
wants to see vampires that are neither hoity-toity upper class gentry nor urban kung fu masters.
wants to see a movie where winning isn't an option for the humans, no matter how smart or strong-willed they are.
appreciates non-stereotypical action/horror movies.

Anyone else see it?

Comments

• Is the 8-10 dollars, depending on the theater, worth spending on this movie in your opinion? Or should I just go try and find a cheap early showing or crap theater.
  • I've never heard of the comic (though I'm going to try to find it now), but it looks like the kind of vampire movie I would like: Humans = boned, running from vampires.Though, spending the large sum of money it would cost makes me want to wait for the DVD. Hay, Netflix!
  • I'm pretty liberal about what I'm willing to spend my money on in a theater. I think it was worth it, but if none of the above list (i.e. - "I would recommend this for...") fits your description, just put it on your rental queue.
  • I've never heard of the comic (though I'm going to try to find it now)Be warned: the movie is better than the comic.
  • I am Legend. None of these stupid powerful vampires. Yes to onions, stakes and sunlight though. Nice novel, Will Smith is afaik hired to play the lead role in the movie when they make it.
  • edited October 2007
    The comic is quite nice, I'll see about the movie.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • Nice novel, Will Smith is afaik hired to play the lead role in the movie when they make it.You mean this movie that's coming out in less than two months? Also, I'm pretty sure garlic is what you'd want to use - you know, just in case.
  • Well I just saw this film. It was pretty interesting. Definitely not your run of the mill vampire flick. If you've got a couple hours to kill and want to see some blood it's a decent way to spend the time. Otherwise just wait for the DVD
  • I am Legend. None of these stupid powerful vampires. Yes to onions, stakes and sunlight though. Nice novel, Will Smith is afaik hired to play the lead role in the movie when they make it.
    I'm very excited about this movie. It has great potential. Will Smith should be given some sort of award for appearing so often in science fistion movies.

The Omega Man was based on the same book. It's very dated, but still very good.
    I'm very excited about this movie. It has great potential. Will Smith should be given some sort of award for appearing so often in science fistion movies.

The Omega Manwas based on the same book. It's very dated, but still very good.
    I saw the trailer for the Will Smith movie and it has me pretty interested. I want to see 30 Days of Nights, however I haven't read the comic. I was told that the ending sucked, but I'm still interested. Perhaps, I'll wait for it to hit the $2 theater.

The Omega Man is a great story. I remember my 8th Grade teacher reading this story to us, then we watched the movie. Quality stuff.
  • I was told that the ending sucked, but I'm still interested.I liked the ending to the movie. However, it did suck in at least one way: it wasn't a tidy, celebratory Bruckheimer ending for the characters.
  • edited October 2007
    I was told that the ending sucked, but I'm still interested.
    I liked the ending to the movie. However, it did suck in at least one way: it wasn't a tidy, celebratory Bruckheimer ending for the characters.
    Well my source of information really wasn't someone I would normally take advice in movies from, but I like different endings, so I'll definitely give this movie a shot when I find the time. Thanks!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm very excited about this movie. It has great potential. Will Smith should be given some sort of award for appearing so often in science fistion movies.

I am so excited to see I am Legend. It looks like I'll have to pick up the book, but I'll have to read it after I finish Golden Compass.
  • You meanthis moviethat's coming out in less than two months? Also, I'm pretty sure garlic is what you'd want to use - you know, just in case.
    Yes, sorry, garlic. I don't know the weapons against the supernatural that well, smelly vegetable vs Vampires. I know I'm fucked if I pick the wrong one. But yes, that movie. And I read it a year back, back then it was looooooong till it would show. Thanks for the date :D
    True, but "it deviates from the novel's story in several ways, removing the vampirical elements, except for the creatures' extreme photosensitivity." (Wikipedia)

Before The Omega Man (1971) there was The Last Man on Earth (1964). The upcoming I am Legend is the second try at it (the earlier try at the movie called I am Legend flopped due to inflating funds.) . . . Why am I making a post and quoting the Wikipedia articles? Go search. Awesome book, hope they stick close to it in the upcoming movie.