This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need help with DS wifi on college

edited October 2007 in Technology
I can't get my DS to connect to wifi at my college campus. Can anyone help?

Comments

• I can't get my DS to connect to wifi at my college campus. Can anyone help?
    Most likely it is not possible. Most colleges use some sort of web-based authentication mechanism to keep random people from using the wireless. You can only connect if your college either has free and open access points or if they use simple WEP encryption.

My suggest to you would be to purchase the Wi-Fi USB Connector. You plug that into a computer with an Internet connection and install the software. Then your DS can very easily connect to the Internet via that computer.
  • Do you know if I could use one of those USB connectors on any computer? I like to go to the local library at lunch time but they have an authentication system in place so no DS Wi-Fi. Their PCs do have USB ports though.
  • Do you know if I could use one of those USB connectors on any computer? I like to go to the local library at lunch time but they have an authentication system in place so no DS Wi-Fi. Their PCs do have USB ports though.
    If the computer runs Windows, you have access to the USB ports, and you have the ability to install software, then yes.
  • Puging USB Wi-Fi Connectors into Computers is also a nice way to overcome any protection used. Network admins would probably go on a killing spree if they saw anyting like that.

But using it to overcome web-based authentification is a really good idea.
  • I doubt the USB idea would work unless you went to all the trouble of setting up the schools proxy then tunneling your data through that to another proxy server and then on to Nintendo WFC and back with enough speed to play well. I'm no expert but this seems a bit futile.
  • edited October 2007
    ea would work unless you went to all the trouble of setting up the schools proxy then tunneling your data through that to another proxy server and then on to Nintendo WFC and back with enough speed to play well. I'm no expert but this seems a bit futile.
    You're assuming the school is using a proxy server and blocking all traffic other than web traffic through that proxy server. At most college's I've been to in the US, if you get on the network they give you a real static IP address and completely unfiltered wide-open Internet access. Unless you go to a really crummy school, the only problem should be getting a connection.

What most schools do have is a web-based authentication mechanism. Many hotels that do not offer free wireless use a similar mechanism. Let me explain how this works.

Your computer connect to the network physically by wire or wireless. The network switch, much smarter than the switches you use in your house, sees your MAC address and sees that you aren't authenticated. You are still connected to the network, but all access is blocked except for one thing. That one thing is a web server running on the local network. If you open your browser and try to visit any website whatsoever, you will be redirected to this local web server. That local web server will give you a page that lets you login. On this page you will have to enter your student credentials, or maybe a password given to you by the hotel. Once you do that, the system will assign a MAC address an IP address and give you the green light. Now when your computer uses DHCP to ask for an IP address, it will get a good one and you will have complete access.

Obviously the problem with a system like this is that any device without a web browser can not get network access. The solution is to get a device which does have a browser to connect and then have that device share the connection. So a PC with a USB wifi adapter or your very own home router with a web browsing computer connected to it should do the trick. I am curious to see if a DS with the Opera browser would be able to manage it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Do you have any links to free software of this sort? I'd like to experiment with a server that offers free wi-fi but sends new people to a splash page upon intiaily connecting. Sort of a "Welcome to So-and-so's Free Wi-Fi" redirect. Nothing terrible but just something simple maybe with the cafe menu and hours.

In particular I've been working with a local Internet cafe and we want to setup some in store PC gaming events. I figure if we throw a server in the closet we can put up a splash page telling everyone how to connect to the local server rather than hand out papers or listen to multiple "how do I get this to work" requests.
  • Found with Google, I'm sure there are others.
  • HMTKSteve you could give FON a try.
  • Hmm, thanks for the advice. I'm bidding on wifi usb's on ebay atm. Ebay always baffles me. I always place minmum bids on things in hopes that no one else would bid on an item so i can get it super cheap, but no matter how niche the item, every freaking item is always bid on.